Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Rem Premier duplex mag 4x6 & Hevi 13 choke updated - 40 yards

Started by spaightlabs, March 19, 2013, 07:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaightlabs

Found a couple boxes of these old soldiers in the closet.  1 7/8 oz duplex of 4x6, copper plated thru an M2, 26 inch bbl and Hevi 13 choke.

Could only shoot 25 yards indoors so couldn't tell if there are any holes at 40...

That's a 12x12 target so I bet at 40 they will look prett decent.  Will take 'em outside first non-snowy weekend day we get.

Couldn't run Hevi indoors - they've decided anything smaller than 6 shot has a tendency to fragment and bounce back when it hits the trap.

spaightlabs

Just saw that Rem still makes these.  Might have to get a couple more boxes if the pattern holds together at 40.

scdxt

2much2loud

Almost looks too tight... If that is such a thing .... Those were the only shells my grandpa would let me shoot growing up

surehuntsalot

I still have 2 boxes of 2x4 Remington Duplex shells
those are some varmint killing shells
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

R AJ

I know that that load likes a 665 choke in a Rem 11-87 12 gauge. One of the best copper-plated turkey  shells Remington ever made and they are still making them.

This is a very consistent shell . I never tried it in a ventilator or even a 660.

gophert

Better get a red dot or scope or something, at 15 yards you better hope its head doesn't move. 

spaightlabs

We got a foot of snow so I didn't get out today so I haven't seen what the pattern looks like at 40.  Might go to hell in a hand basket, but I think I will wait to find out for myself before I toss em in the dumpster.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I've shot a lot of lead shells over the years at 25yds.  None of my patterns were near that tight regardless of the loads I shot. 

devin4484

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 24, 2013, 12:02:07 AM
I've shot a lot of lead shells over the years at 25yds.  None of my patterns were near that tight regardless of the loads I shot. 

I would have to agree with you on that.

spaightlabs

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 24, 2013, 12:02:07 AM

So far we know that in your opinion, which to me is worth exactly what I payed for it, this is the worst patterning shell ever, and that despite that, my gun/choke combo shoots it tight at 25 indoors at 65 degrees at 5300 feet.  You forgot that altitude affects pattern density, didn't you?

Do you have another information you want to share?

The great thing about this country is that you can shoot whatever ammo you want, and so can I.

I'm probably gonna make my way through the 8 boxes of MagBlends and Hevi 7s that i have before I start shooting anything else.  By then Hevi will be going for $60 a box so I will probably switch.  If the pattern on these holds up at 40, this is what I will switch to.  If not, I'll switch to something else.

I will be sure to ask your thoughts at that time, though I would say that Clark or Sumtoy's opinions are a bit more valuable.

learn2hide

that was always my favorite lead load...I've patterned them since I switched to HTL and they don't do as well obviously but it's still a solid load, bet that shell has put many tens of thousands of birds in the dirt over the years which is a lot more important that how many holes they punch in a piece of paper
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

ILIKEHEVI-13

If your lead loads shoot that great at 5300 feet, then I would hate for you to show me a Hevi-13 pattern.  That's just one of those that I would have to see is all.  No offense. 

spaightlabs

If the hevi shoots that tight or tighter I may end up looking at an Indian Creek or a Sumtoy to see if I can open it up a bit.

I've heard a lot of guys say that a pattern can deteriorate a LOT between 25 and 40 - I'm not gonna be surprised if this one has a lot of clumps and some big holes.

spaightlabs

As much as I wanted Ilikehevi13 to be wrong...he wasn't.  Mmmmmmmmm, crow.

40 yards, same choke and gun. 

67 in 10...not gonna take this load into the field anytime soon.