OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Osceola or Eastern?

Started by FL-Boss, March 19, 2013, 03:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL-Boss

I hunt close to the claimed "border" of these two species in north central Florida.   I always thought the birds were eastern... but it sure looks like Osceola to me...when I compare pictures with other Osceola birds shot.  What do you think?

GobbleNut

If you shot it south of the hypothetical line separating Easterns from Osceolas, it is an Osceola,...if you shot it north of that line, it is an Eastern.  Genetically, there is probably no difference between your bird and the thousands of others that reside within a wide band on either side of that line.  One thing for sure, it is definitely not a Rio, a Merriams, or a Goulds. 

If the truth be known, genetic studies done about two decades ago concluded that the Eastern and Osceola were so genetically similar that it was questionable whether they should even be classified as separate subspecies.  In essence, we turkey hunters have decided that it is cool to call the south Florida turkey a distinct subspecies to give us a reason to pursue them. ....And that's okay with me.

Assuming for a moment that the Osceola and Eastern are, or were, distinct subspecies at one time, the amount of time that they have been interbreeding would make it doubtful that there is much, if any, true genetic diversity between the two in the northern two-thirds of Florida. At this point in time, those birds would all be hybrids. 

So, just use the arbitrary line that someone declared across Florida as being the subspecies boundary and go with it.  The fact is we could move that line a hundred miles north or south or where it is and it would have the same significance in terms of true subspecies identification.

FL-Boss

very detailed...makes sense. Thanks.  So based on the "line" it's a eastern!

tomstopper

Looks like an eastern to me. Either way, Congrats on a fine looking bird.

firstflight111

whats up with the one spur thing ?? a guy posted a picture of one like that, that's odd ..
CUPPED AND COMMITTED

FL-Boss

he had two spurs.. that one leg was just turned the other way..

spaightlabs

HARDCORE

One things for certain, that's a DEAD turkey. . . .CONGRATS!

HC

RutnNStrutn

The actual "line" is hypothetical, and supposedly, every bird within 100 miles either side of the line is a hybrid. Judging by the white bars on his wings, I'd say he's more Eastern than Osceola. A true Osceola has broken and faint wing barring. Here's an example on a central FLA Osceola I took a few years back.

RutnNStrutn

Then again, here's an Eastern I took in the Lowcountry of S. Carolina last season. He looks more like an Osceola than your Florida bird does. So who the heck knows for sure? We refer to Easterns in Georgia and Carolina as "Easteolas"!!! :lol: ;D

FL-Boss

RutnNStrutn

Yeah, who knows FL-Boss? I'm no biologist. I just go with what I am told by biologists and see on line. The most important thing is that you got a nice bird!! Congrats man!! :icon_thumright: