turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need one other call option/suggestion to round out my bag of tricks

Started by kevin2, March 18, 2013, 11:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

I've got 4 diaphragm calls now, and a Primos Bombshell to call in turkeys. I can do a pretty large array of calls with my diaphragms, but cutting is my one weakness. So, I should likely look at a option that provides that particular type of call with ease of learning I suppose. So, I'm looking for one other option that I can move to IF I can't make em come to me. I don't want to spend a fortune, so a call on the cheaper end of things would most likely be up my alley.

As for locator calls, I'm set, I've got 6 different types. All is good here, I hope!
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

jblackburn

From what you listed I would recommend a slate call, cutting is not overly hard to do on one of those.
But since you said you don't want to spend a lot, I would just stick to what you have. Cutting can be performed on pretty much any mouth call, but some are easier to cutt on than other.  Stretch, cuts (in the latex), the latex thickness all contribute to how well a call performs.  I would recommend practicing with what you have.

Not to be condescending, but you could have saved some money by not getting 6 locator calls and buying more turkey calls. All I carry is an owl call and honestly, I don't use it that much.

Now, if you really want a diaphram call that cutts really well, I would recommend the Gooserbat Heckler.  I is a very raspy call that is still easy to blow and produces tremendous cutts but also is sensitive enough to purr on like a champ.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

kevin2

Ironically, I just bought the Heckler the other day to try and solve my cutting problems. We'll see if it works. Either way, I'm likely to get another option to do cutting with.

Quote from: jblackburn on March 19, 2013, 12:10:36 AM
From what you listed I would recommend a slate call, cutting is not overly hard to do on one of those.
But since you said you don't want to spend a lot, I would just stick to what you have. Cutting can be performed on pretty much any mouth call, but some are easier to cutt on than other.  Stretch, cuts (in the latex), the latex thickness all contribute to how well a call performs.  I would recommend practicing with what you have.

Not to be condescending, but you could have saved some money by not getting 6 locator calls and buying more turkey calls. All I carry is an owl call and honestly, I don't use it that much.

Now, if you really want a diaphram call that cutts really well, I would recommend the Gooserbat Heckler.  I is a very raspy call that is still easy to blow and produces tremendous cutts but also is sensitive enough to purr on like a champ.

jblackburn

Move your tongue back and forth and side to side to find the "sweet spot" of the call.  On the Heckler it should be just to the right of center.  Once you have th spot, cutting is basically a short burst of air/very short/ a strong, short yelp. 

My advice is don't try to get the "machine gun" cutting right off the bat.  Work on single notes, then start pairing them together. 

I'm not sure I can type out turkey sounds, but I will try.  A basic cutting sequence would be:

Cutt . . . Cutt . . . Cutt-Cutt . . Cutt

There are a lot of good call makers here, try a few and find what works for you. Practice is the main thing and trying new things with the calls.  I have been running mouth calls for 15 years and I just learned how to purr decently two weeks ago!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

cahaba

IMO the easiest call to cutt on is a box call. If you are right handed hold the call in your left hand. Use your left thumb as a stop and with your right hand pop the lid. The thumb should return the lid back for the next sequence. 1-1-1-2 is a good sequence.  Good luck.

redarrow

Learn to purr if you haven't already.If you get a pot call you can purr like a champ in no time. Although you may need to try a few different strikers to get the sound you want.

Gamblinman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

kevin2

OK, got a Lonnie Sneed Hot Hen Slate ordered today. Can't wait to see it in the mail.

Also got my Gooserbat Heckler today & gave it a couple runs, sounds light years better than my other calls. Thanks Sam, you the man!