Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gooserbat Heckler Giveaway! And the winner is???

Started by Gooserbat, March 18, 2013, 11:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

Websters Dictanary says this:

Definition of HECKLE
: to harass and try to disconcert with questions, challenges, or gibes : badger
— heck·ler noun

Tell us about that one old hen that just had it in for you when you were hunting.  I'll draw a winner Wendsday after noon.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Gooserbat

Last year I had an Ol' sister that marched right up in my lap and talked some really trash talk.  Then her two boy-toys had to strut over to see what the commotion was about and wouldn't you know it I was looking down the gun barrel when they lined their heads up at 33 and 37 yards. 

She lost her boy-toys.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jblackburn

In my second year of turkey hunting in MO (I was maybe 15 at the time) I was hunting with a friend and I called up a gobbler, six jakes and a hen out of a field and into the woods.  The jakes came marching in and ran off the gobbler out of range.  The hen marched up to about 5 yards from me and proceeded to aggressive yelp and cutt for several minutes.  My buddy was about 10 yards to my left.  The hen turned and walked toward him and literally got within two feet of him and continued to yelp and cutt. 

I could tell my friend was all but freaking out, so I started calling back at her and really ticked her off!  She kept walking back and forth cutting and yelping.  The gobblers and jakes were going nuts!  Every time the gobbler started coming closer, the pack of jakes would run at him.  This went on for a while until I decided that it had to stop and I smoked one of the jakes at 15 yards or so.  It was only my second turkey, so I was not picky.  Still one of my favorite hunts.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

DirtNap647

had a mouthy hen come right up about 5 yds away kinda go into like a half strut and we had the stare down

Clif Owen

Well..it all started in 1983 when I said "I do"..and that old hen has had it in for me ever since!

fishfrey

A few years ago there was a hill I called Hen Hill. Each time I hunted there I have this hen come in cutting, yelping and purring. Often times I would call her in and let her walk off and with one call she would be headed right back. I never did hear any gobbles from that hill. Maybe somebody already took her boy friend home.

tomstopper

Three years ago I took a friends son (age 8) with me and it turned out to be one of the funniest things I have ever seen. We were sitting with our backs up against an old oak tree & had birds all around us. He knew he had to sit still and did so until a large hen stopped at the bottom of his feet and was looking just passed him when she started to cut & yelp. His eyes were huge and when she started to walk to the side of the tree (and stepped on his leg) he jumped right into my lap causing my shotgun hit the mud along with the calls that were on my lap. Talk about a suprise, I sat there at first trying to figure out what the heck just happened. The hen was so close that she knocked my hat off with her wings when this 65lb camo blob of boy (approx 2 1/2 feet away) exploded causing her to jump & take flight. All the other birds followed suit and the woods really seemed to explode. We did not get a bird that day but had many laughs. He told me that he thought she was going to run right over him. His dad & I had alot of laughs over that one. They moved and we became out of  touch so each year I wonder if he has ever been turkey hunting sense.......... I hope that big old hen did not ruin it for him........ :toothy12:

MG150

Last year opening day hear in NC I sat up about 75 yards from a roosted gobbler.When he flew down he landed down the hill from me just out of sight.He gobbled to my calls and I knew it was just a matter of time before he came into my setup.Then I heard a hen start yelping about 100 yards away,she marched right in to him and stole my gobbler awayI only got to see the top of their heads as they disapeared in the thicker woods.      :character0029:

Mossberg835

Year ago had a old boss hen come on and knock my featherlite hen off its stake.

Doug-Va

Years back me and my hunting partner was working a gobbler and he was about 100 yds off. Wasnt long before a sassy talking hen came in from the other direction headed straight to the gobbler i thought to myself if she gets to him this game is over so jumped up and spooked her off! Ten minutes later my partner killed the gobbler!!!

Doug

Cet803

Last season had a hen steal two gobblers from me .everytime I'd call they would gobble bout 200 yards away across a wheat field but she was with em and out yelped me.after 20 mins of that .they gone. :turkey2:

TN Beard Buster

A few years ago i was back calling for a buddy who had never killed a bird. He was laying in some johnson grass on the edge of the field and we had a gobbler about 100yds down the field showing his stuff. All of a sudden this hen came flying in and landed right in front of my buddy and proceded to start calling like crazy. I kept the conversation going, thinking it would bring in the gobbler. There was a ditch behind me and I guess the hen thought the hen back talking her was in there, cause she walked right back there and looked. when she didn't see anything, she turned around and walked back and stepped on my hand and foot, and right back to the field. The gobbler is going crazy by now, and when the hen saw him heading our way, she putted and started walking toward him putting every other step until she passed him and pulled him away. We could hear them for the next ten minutes until they finally got out of earshot. One time I really thought of breaking the law and shooting a hen.

renegade19

2 years ago my hunting partner and I were working 2 hot gobblers in an area that had several parallel ridges that tie into a single large hilltop.  We're just about to crest a ridge with the intent of dropping down and looping around to the top where the gobblers are when we hear turkey noises from the opposite side of the ridge!  Crap! We hurry and grab some tree!

Just then, a hen flies up over the ridge and lands about 10 feet above us in the tree. She then procedes to poop on my buddy's leg.  To make matters worse, she calls the rest of her flock up  and they decide to enjoy a nice morning milling all around us feeding, preening, etc.  Normally, It's the best situation but they're so close and ole girl is the eye in the sky so we can't even blink. 

It's a matter of seconds til we get busted and hear the dreaded "putt" so we decide to launch a preemptive strike!  Bust em up and call as crazy and excited as we can.  Who knows, it might work.  Believe it or not, it actually works!  Hens scatter in just the direction we wanted and at that time, gobblers were too far off and in too thick of cover to see. Plus, sounded sorta like a hen fight!  Back in business!  Gobblers come on in.  Now,  they're on the next ridge 75 yards of so away.  Strutting and looking.  But, it's wide open between us and them.  Mostly air.

They have a good field of view and don't see anything because we didnt get a chance to put a decoy out.  Doh! They put on a great show and then mosey off, occassionally gobbling.  Just as we're moving to set up again, we hear BOOM! Another hunter had worked up from the back side and killed one.  And so goes the story of the hen that pooped on us!

kansas hooks

Couple of years ago had an old boss hen come in and scold me hard.  Not sure what she was saying but i'm pretty sure it wasn't nice.  She then beat the heck out of my hen decoy.  My decoy was no match for her, I had to throw in the white towel.  I had to get up and chase her off my decoy.  I was afraid that she was going to beat my decoy up so bad that I would have had to buy a new one.

pitch black

couple years ago, i had a gobbler hot on the limb, then i heard something fly right above me, right toward where  the gobbler was roosted, he shut up and she went to yelping and cuttin, in short i was done for, she won that day.