News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Whose shot is it?

Started by calebb, March 18, 2013, 09:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisg2709

Quote from: FANMAN on March 18, 2013, 09:29:14 AM
BOOM !!!!!!! Sorry Bud. He was asking for it.

Im with you. Whoever can pull the trigger the fastest.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

We alternate on singles depending on who has the low kill count at that moment. If that person can't get a clear shot, the other gun has a green light to chop him down if the shot is presented. When that happens, there is no set "timeframe" for how long the bird is in range before the back-up gun is allowed to bark.  It's an instinctual decision made on situational awareness.

If pairs or triples come in, it's always understood that the gun on the left and right shoot birds on their respective sides.

I really only hunt with my brother and there is no discussion in these circumstances. We both know exactly what the other is thinking.

redleg06

I usually hunt solo until I kill a couple every year...exception being if I get an invite to their place that I know to be a good spot. 

Either way I seem to be "lucky" when hunting with other people. We'll set up for them to shoot and that ol gobbler just seems to loop around them and give me the shot instead. Sometimes I'd rather be lucky than good I guess... :z-guntootsmiley:

Trevor2

Quote from: chcltlabz on March 18, 2013, 10:17:34 AM
We set up parellel to each other and let the birds decide.
Exactly if Im setting on the right and the bird comes out in front of us but to the left side he is my bird, if it comes out to front right he is my  buddies bird. Just how we do it.
Strutstopper

runngun

MINE!!! Unless I am hunting with a youngin.... The best time to kill a turkey is as soon as you see him, in range!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

redleg06

Quote from: Daman on March 18, 2013, 05:42:47 PM
I have a pretty simple philosophy. If you get a shot on a a long beard take it. If I get a shot on a long beard I will take it.

This is probably the best rule... I'd hate to miss out on an opportunity to kill one just because it's MY shot or HIS shot.   

I tell my partner the same thing...if you get the chance to kill him then do it, but I'll be doing the same thing. I only hunt with a few folks I know well so we arent racing to "out gun" each other and arent going to take a risky shot just to beat the other guy to the draw.

BrowningGuy88

The guys I hunt with have been hunting with me so long we don't have to wonder what the other will do or if they will race to shoot the bird. That is why I can have my when you get a shot take it philosophy.

If I take a newbie, I always let them shoot first and always tell them when to shoot. Then if another one hangs around I will clean up the double, but I play back-up firts and foremost!

Gooserbat

If we are sittind side by side then it's right/right and left/left thing if he comes down the middle then who ever gets the 1st good shot.  Usualy though someone is more than willing to call and sits up 20-40 yards behind the shooter.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

turkey slayer

Quote from: CASH on March 18, 2013, 09:29:56 AM
Last to shoot the previous season shoots second
agreed thats how me and my buddies decide

catman529

I usually hunt alone but when hunting with a buddy I guess it's whoever gets a shot first or who has a better shot at the bird... for example last spring me and a buddy called a bird out of the woods and we were sitting in a tree line in between two fields. He was facing the left field and I was facing the right. Well the bird came out of the woods into the left field so my buddy shot him. Worked out perfectly that time. Haven't got enough experience yet to decide who shoots when you are side by side and both ready to shoot the bird...

30_06

Our rule is first to get a good shot takes it.

firstflight111

How i do it is I let them pick the side they sit on .and here's my thing who ever side  the turkey comes in on you get first crack now if theres 2 turkeys if we can both work it out same time . i :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:
CUPPED AND COMMITTED