OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Whose shot is it?

Started by calebb, March 18, 2013, 09:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calebb

How do you you guys decide who get's the first shot of the season when you are hunting with a buddy who is an "equal" to you, not a kid or first timer? When hunting with my dad we usually know who has more time to hunt and as a result the other gets the first trigger pull but this year I'll be starting out with a buddy and we have both killed birds and are in class together so our hunting time is identical. I've done rock-paper-scissors before but wondering if somebody had something more interesting.

FANMAN

BOOM !!!!!!! Sorry Bud. He was asking for it.

CASH

Last to shoot the previous season shoots second
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

redarrow

I usually hunt solo so it doesn't come up. If i'm hunting with a buddy he shoots first, Doesn't really matter who it is.If the bird is on my side and he (buddy) doesn't have a shot I'll shoot.

Onpoint

I usually take my wife or little cousins so they always get to shoot first.

chcltlabz

We set up parellel to each other and let the birds decide.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

spaightlabs

We usually have to fight over it - everyone is so polite that it ends up everyone wants the second shot...last year we were still arguing about it at 8:15 in the morning on opener while a tom was working his way in.  He stood there beating on the decoy for a few minutes with neither of us in a hurry to end our Colorado season.  As he was doing his deal 3 of his buddies came walking up to join the fun and we were both able to get a shot on 1.2.3.

If you both want first shot get creative.  See who can chug a gallon of milk fastest.  Eat the most cinnamon.  Hold their breath the longest.  Put the most pellets in the 10 from 40 yards. Fastest time in a mile run in full gear carrying your (unloaded) gun.  Most push-ups in 60 seconds. Cut a deck of cards...

AUDoubleBeard

Rock Paper Scissors, or whoever shot the last bird of the prior season goes second. 

catdaddy

No matter who I am hunting with/for, a kid, a first timer or a seasoned pro, I try to situate them in a postion I think will be most likely for a shot. However---if the turkey shows up unexpectedly "wrong"  on my side, I tell whoever I am with before hand--"I'm shooting". To me , the disappointment for everybody is much greater when a turkey gets away versus someone not getting to shoot. 

Muzzy61

Quote from: redarrow on March 18, 2013, 09:37:46 AM
I usually hunt solo so it doesn't come up. If i'm hunting with a buddy he shoots first, Doesn't really matter who it is.If the bird is on my side and he (buddy) doesn't have a shot I'll shoot.
That's they way I do it with most everyone I hunt with.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

BrowningGuy88

I have a pretty simple philosophy. If you get a shot on a a long beard take it. If I get a shot on a long beard I will take it.

BigEz

Normally I've hunted another state or two before I go with my father in may so he's up first.  This season though his going to Florida this week so ill be up first when we can go together unless I killed one in va or nc then he'll be up first again.  I really really want him to be up first again come may for the right reasons.  ;D

calebb

Neither of us are battling for first shot, it's the case of both saying "you can have the first one." If they come in on a side its easy, if he comes right down the pipe we needed to know who is killing him.  Hopefully we call in two and it won't be an issue haha

renegade19

Quote from: chcltlabz on March 18, 2013, 10:17:34 AM
We set up parellel to each other and let the birds decide.

This

surehuntsalot

when I'm hunting with a partner we always let the bird/birds decide
it's not the harvest,it's the chase