turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 youth 20 receiver to barrel question

Started by jtoliver43, March 12, 2013, 03:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtoliver43

I just got my 870 and I notice that when the barrel is on and the magazine cap is tightened the barrel will move very slightly left to right (clockwise to counter clockwise) if yoU twist it. The movement can be felt where the barrel inserts into the receiver. Have any of you noticed this in your 870s? Is this normal? If so, could this movement affect the zero of my Burris ff iii ?

Conserve. Hunt. Share.

gophert

Not good!  You don't want the barrel moving at all.  Make sure it is all the way down on the receiver and then tighten the mag cap 2 or 3 clicks past tight.  (if that makes sense)  If that barrel is moving when you are sighting in, it is going to drive you crazy!

zeke632

I have a BPS that I had to buy an after market magazine cap with a stud for a sling. It doesnt seat as tight as the factory magazine cap and the barrel has a little movement, side to side. I dont like it, but I cant tell that it makes any difference in POA.
I dont think it an ideal situation by any means, but for me, its not hurting anything.

FullChoke

I would contact Remington immediately and describe the problem to them. Let them know that time is not on your side here and they need to resolve this problem quickly.

Keep us informed on this, please.

Good luck.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

jtoliver43

I pointed it out to my gunsmith today and he said that it was normal in pump shotguns and that it should not affect my zeroing. I went to the store today and looked at a new one and it had the same amount of barrel play in the receiver. I also looked at two separate 870s that friends have with identical barrel play. have read alot about it and some say its normal and others including the few of you here say its a concern. the movement that I am describing is very minimal, does your 870 barrel sit completely flush in the receiver with absolutely zero play? thank you for your help!
Conserve. Hunt. Share.

redarrow

I think its normal . Draw back the bolt before you tighten it down. A lot of the slug guns shooters have the barrel pinned. A small hole is drilled through the receiver and into the barrel .It is then threaded and a small screw installed.

ozarkhooks

I ran into the same thing with a 870 youth 20 I have. No movement with the factorty cap but when I put the aftermarket cap with sling swivel on it, the barrel would move some. Tonight I drilled out the factory cap and slightly ground the tip of the cap and put the swivel from the aftermarket cap in the factory cap and she is tight and I will shoot it this weekend to re check pattern.

msgobblergetter

jtoliver43

Hearing its normal and hearing its not. I've touched 4 870s today both in 12 and 20 gauge that had similar barrel play.Wish this was a black and white subject
Conserve. Hunt. Share.

jtoliver43

To clarify, the movement I am talking about is a very minimal, fraction of a turn in the clockwise and counter clockwise direction that can be noticed by holding the stock in one hand and slightly twisting the barrel in the other hand back and forth. The barrel stays linear and does not literally move left to right. If that makes any sense. Mag caps are tight on them all, and can be noticed with the bolt foward or back
Conserve. Hunt. Share.

redarrow

Well I just took my 3 870s all 20 ga. out and checked them. My older Wingmaster built on the 12 ga. receiver had no movement at all. Tried my 2 870 slug guns. One moved,one didn't. I pulled back the bolt and snugged it up and now its fine.

jtoliver43

Thanks for checking. I did read somewhere that this is more common in the express models. This is driving me bananas
Conserve. Hunt. Share.

redarrow

If you get any good info on it please keep us posted.