OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg bantam shooting high

Started by Coyote, March 11, 2013, 09:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyote

Bantam shooting 1.5 - 2 ft high.  Rear sight bottomed out.  Hwt 7's thru colonial .570.  Anyone else had this problem?  Don't want to use an optic.  Any suggestions?

R AJ

Take a finer bead on the front sight

SumToy

Try the factory choke at say 50 ft with junk shell then try the other choke.  If it is high with both you could go with a bigger front bead.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

gobblergls

Quote from: RAJ on March 11, 2013, 10:13:31 PM

A smaller bead will raise the tip of the barrel higher.  I'd buy Williams Firesights and place them on the vent rib.  The Super Bantam's factory sights are the Achilles Heel of the gun.  You are not the first to complain about them.

R AJ

Quote from: gobblergls on March 12, 2013, 07:10:24 AM

A smaller bead will raise the tip of the barrel higher.  I'd buy Williams Firesights and place them on the vent rib.  The Super Bantam's factory sights are the Achilles Heel of the gun.  You are not the first to complain about them.

A finer bead means that you only see the very top of the bead thus lowering your point of aim sir.I never said to put a smaller bead on the barrel if your quote referred to my post.

redarrow

Quote from: RAJ on March 12, 2013, 11:30:49 AM

A finer bead means that you only see the very top of the bead thus lowering your point of aim sir.I never said to put a smaller bead on the barrel if your quote referred to my post.

What RAJ said x2

R AJ

Quote from: gobblergls on March 12, 2013, 05:45:49 PM
Going by standard English, 2nd definiition:
Finer:  Of superior quality, skill, or appearance: a fine day; a fine writer. 2. Very small in size, weight, or thickness: fine type; fine paper. 3. a. Free from impurities. b.
I have a Super Bantam 20 and I am familiar with its front sight.  It's a tubular fibre optic.  To lower the point of aim, the top of the front sight must be higher or taller than it is now.  A larger "bead" would be taller than a finer bead.  If you went to a "smaller" or "finer" bead, it would have to  be on a post higher than it is now if one wants the "bead" to sit in a line with the rear sight "tubes" and lower the point of aim.

You don't get it, won't get it so why not forget it. If I told Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett to draw a finer bead do you think they would have asked for a pen and paper? Nope, they would have put less of the blade in the v of the sight and known exactly what to do.

gobblergls

Not trying to insult anyone; only trying to help.   
Here's the front sight of the gun in question.  The best way to keep a 3 dots in a row sight picture and lower the point of impact with the rear sight bottomed out is to raise the front sight. The best solution is to ditch the sub par sights on the gun and use adjustable rifle sights (Williams Fire Sights, for example) or a red dot like many of us who have this gun have done.  Bottom photo is rear sight.  It's a pair of fibre optics.  Not made or designed well.

Michigander

I didn't know that drawing a finer bead was such a tough concept.

And if you put what you are aiming at on top of the bead like you are supposed to, a bigger front bead would help things.

Coyote

Well....guys, just calm down, I understood the earlier post just fine. gonna buys some more adjustable, reliable sights. Basically just wanted to know if it was a common problem with this particular gun.  The answer was yes......got it.  now everyone just step away from the keyboard until the meds kick in. :funnyturkey:

FL Longbeard

I had the same problem with my Mossberg Grand Slam 20 ga. and replaced the factory sights with a set of the Williams universal firesights and problem was solved.  What you need is a taller profile front sight which is what the Williams sight provides.

R AJ

Quote from: gobblergls on March 12, 2013, 07:03:35 PM
Not trying to insult anyone; only trying to help.   
Here's the front sight of the gun in question.  The best way to keep a 3 dots in a row sight picture and lower the point of impact with the rear sight bottomed out is to raise the front sight. The best solution is to ditch the sub par sights on the gun and use adjustable rifle sights (Williams Fire Sights, for example) or a red dot like many of us who have this gun have done.  Bottom photo is rear sight.  It's a pair of fibre optics.  Not made or designed well.

Now it truly appears that you are more interested in definitions and semantics trying your best to throw insults even though you present yourself otherwise. My attempt was to try to answer the question, concern,problem, or whatever you wish to call it in order to help the guy out.
I just happen to also own a Mossberg 20 gauge with EXACTLY the same sights that you have pictures of so I am very in touch with the problem. Now as Mr. Lambert, Sumtoy, suggested a larger or taller bead will lower the sighting plane and produce a lower pattern. I did not dispute what he suggested as it will definitely work.That is the effect of taking a finer( or placing LESS bead in the sight picture) bead.  I have only been shooting for some 51 years now and I will bet you that if you do as I suggested the shot pattern will also be lowered, albeit possibly not low enough but it will be lowered. I also agree that if he does as you suggested the pattern will also be lowered.
Hey , it is fine with me if he uses ONLY YOUR suggestion. I feel no smaller if he does. By the way , I am feeling fine.

gobblergls

RAJ, I understand your point.  I misunderstood it when you made it.  Even though I have shot open sights in long range competition and in the military I was not familiar with the phrase "fine bead"  to mean "half bead" I deleted my posts before you fired the last blast.  Sorry to get your shorts in a wad.  Forgive me. I was not "born on a mountaintop in Tennessee nor killed a "bar" when I was only 3".  I've always had the luxury of adjustable open sights on long guns.  You were right, I was wrong.  Mea culpa! :agreed:

steveo

Had the same issue with my daughters...she is a crack shot with rifles,shoots airgun during off season and we could not get this thing right :(, we adjusted shot high ???/adjusted shot to the left ::)/adjusted shot to the right >:( !!!!. I could not keep the POI on with the factory sights even after applying loc tite on the little screw that holds the adjustment plate, tossed the sight got a Tru Glow gobble dot and problem solved !!! ;) she killed a gobbler that spring. The reason I didn't want to have her compensating for a sight picture that was not right is easy to understand to make the thing shoot correct you almost had to not see the front bead........the idea is to see all three (boom) dead bird, in the excitement I didn't want her to have to worry about doing all of that plus when you move out in yards it becomes even more of a issue. Just my two cents.....great little gun and have no complaints just need a different sight and all is good. 

Michigander

Quote from: gobblergls on March 13, 2013, 07:02:53 AM
RAJ, I understand your point.  I misunderstood it when you made it.  Even though I have shot open sights in long range competition and in the military I was not familiar with the phrase "fine bead"  to mean "half bead" I deleted my posts before you fired the last blast.  Sorry to get your shorts in a wad.  Forgive me. I was not "born on a mountaintop in Tennessee nor killed a "bar" when I was only 3".  I've always had the luxury of adjustable open sights on long guns.  You were right, I was wrong.  Mea culpa! :agreed:

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

I hope I didn't upset anybody, I was just ribbing.