turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

$ vs cents

Started by Missed-Em, March 06, 2011, 10:20:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missed-Em

:-\ This thought started while reading the various "using decoy" threads.  Turkey has become very $ oriented, just like duck hunting has.  More expensive guns, while the standard 870 has probably killed more turkeys than any other, $120 slates vs Wally world special, full body stuffers vs the foam folders, $2000 for a three day hunt?  Lets get back to real life and talk about what we need, not what we want to use :smiley-char092: :smiley-char092:

By the way, I too do it, I've got a dedicated turkey gun w/ added sights, etc, etc.

Missed-Em

I guess my point was that we need to emphisize to newbies that a $120 vest and 3 $80 decoys arn't necessary to start this game - use your old ball, bat and glove and go from there.

guesswho

Quote from: Missed-Em on March 06, 2011, 11:13:50 AM
I guess my point was that we need to emphisize to newbies that a $120 vest and 3 $80 decoys arn't necessary to start this game - use your old ball, bat and glove and go from there.
Preaching to the quire.  Most of my stuff is hand-me-downs people have given me.   I look like a bum of a turkey hunter.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

jcarter

I've been told I need to upgrade my hunting attire by more than a few of the better dressed hunters I hang with. At least patch up the holes they ask. As for turkey guns, you can never have enough.

alloutdoors

Quote from: Missed-Em on March 06, 2011, 10:20:34 AMLets get back to real life and talk about what we need, not what we want to use :smiley-char092: :smiley-char092:

Your point is valid, but if we only talk about what we 'need' this would be a pretty quiet forum.  ;D There isn't a turkey walking that can't be killed by someone with a diaphragm, a break action 12 gauge with a full choke and 2 3/4" high brass #6's.  If you have that and can sit still and make passable yelps you can kill turkeys.

That said, if someone gets more enjoyment out of shooting Nitro's through a $100 choke, or using stuffers or DSD's, or carrying $500 worth of custom calls then that's their business.  I don't think I've ever seen someone here tell a newbie that they "had" to have any of the more expensive gear. 

I'll also add that I would rather hear from someone who's excited about the gobbler that they smoked while it was whooping on their $400 stuffer decoy than read another post about how awesome someone thinks they are because they never use decoys, or blinds, or heavier than lead ammo, or scopes, or any number of other things.  It's fine if you don't want to use any of that stuff, but some people need to stop acting like that makes them better than those who do.  Turkeys just aren't that hard to kill, with or without the specialized gear, so using or not using any specific piece of equipment doesn't prove anything about how good of a turkey hunter anyone is.  (Not pointing fingers at you in any way Missed-Em, just an observation on the condescending attitudes that occasionally crop up on some of the gear threads).

Good luck to everyone this spring, whether your gear consists of one diaphragm call in a faded camo shirt pocket or a semi-trailer worth of decoys, calls, and enough Hevi-shot to invade a small country!
:fud:

tjh24

I must admit that I am one of those guys that likes having some nice stuff.  I do have a good gun, a DSD decoy, good vest and a few good calls.  I am not way over the top like some, but I have a lot more than others.  Up at the cabin, I am the only one that has all this gear.  Most of the guys are older and only carry one or two calls, no vest, no decoys or anything like that.  Are they successful? Yes to an extent.    Am I more succesful because of the gear, some of the times yes, sometimes no.  I know how my gun will handle and know its maximum capabilities and I am comfortable and well equipped in the woods. I usually always have what I need and different calls for different situations.  I really dont think that its necassary to have a ton of gear, however, I feel confident when I go into the woods. That I am more prepared than the next guy, which could give me the advantage.  Its all about having fun and like it was said earlier, all you need is a gun and a call to kill birds.

Timmer

If I didn't have all this fancy stuff, which I add to every year, I'd have to change my signature!   ;D
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

jshively

I do not mind spending money on quality made items that I enjoy using and appreciate.  What kills me is the amount of junk that the big companies come out with each year that are marketed as the "have to have item to bag that gobbler".  While we may bring items to the woods that give us confidence, the best thing you can bring is woodsmanship.  And you can not buy that at a store.

Gobbling Buck

Quote from: jshively on March 06, 2011, 04:50:20 PM
I do not mind spending money on quality made items that I enjoy using and appreciate.  What kills me is the amount of junk that the big companies come out with each year that are marketed as the "have to have item to bag that gobbler".  While we may bring items to the woods that give us confidence, the best thing you can bring is woodsmanship.  And you can not buy that at a store.

X2

socalturkeyman

A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

renegade19

Quote from: jshively on March 06, 2011, 04:50:20 PM
X4

However, I did just buy 2 boxes of Heavy shot!   :-[

northwoodshntr

I understand where coming from Missed-Em. I think most everybody here knows you don't have to have the best gear to kill turkeys but there are many AVID hunters here who enjoy using them. I'm an economy hunter. Most of my gear I've collected over the last 15 years off of the sale racks. I usually hunt turkeys in the same camo I bowhunt in in the fall. My turkey hunting expenditures so far this year are 2 boxes of shells (lead) and 2 books. Knowledge and woodsmanship kills more turkeys than anything else. I haven't met a turkey that could tell the difference. Although that could explain my dry spell.  LOL

reynolds243

the only thing i carry that is a MUST is a nice vest...turkey hunting aint to fun when you are uncomfortable the entire time. I am with you on most of the other stuff you mentioned..heck i still have the same set of foam decoys i got 10 years ago, i just keep repainting them to make them work.

clothing IMO can be different though. I am not a fan of all the dark brown and black camos out there. I like the light weight yellow/tan and orange stuff. I mean look at every true group predator in the wild and tell me which one is green/black or dark brown. Not many. 

i have an 870 but but a new auto a few years back. its lighter and less recoil so to me it was something that made the hunt more enjoyable.

Calls however are getting way out of hand, i mean $10 for a diaphragm is a bit crazy imo

mossy835

I agree with most of you, I still hunt with an Old JC Higgins model 20 12 gauge (mostly pheasants) though. I started with HM and Old Classic shot shells as a large portion of my area is now closed to lead or will be soon enough. Turkey hunting was new to me and I really did not have any gear to start with so I called a friend of mine retired from the state and raised in Kentucky that I knew hunted turkeys until he had serious surgery and started collecting items to make the hunt fun. So for me it was a pot call a long box and a scratch box call along with a good quality vest. I am known to go out all day and felt the cushion would help as would the ability to haul stuff like lunch, extra shells, water (2) SS bottles rain gear and that is about it. I frequent here and read a lot as I am learning about the sport. Hunting for me is a long drive two days of hunting if I am lucky so I do not want to leave anything behind. The only item I did not use was my box call and it was a waste of money hence I read and consider what the older members (not age) have to say about their gear. Just my humble opinion

Boparks

Good discussion here and no doubt you can kill a turkey with just the essentials....

I hunted the first 3 years with a Remington 1300 un camoed shotgun and had a Lynch box and a Lohman Thunderdome and a very basic vest...killed limits exceopt for my first season

but I have to say......I like gear and stuff and I end up spending what I can on better gear than I started out with... I ididn't spend over $30 for a call the first 9-10 years and then paid $80 bucks for an Albert Paul box call

I guess I'd put it like this:

I used to catch bass out of a Jon boat with a 9 horse power motor with Zebcos and steak and seafood were not something I could afford alot of....It was a whole lot more fun when I got  a real bass boat and bait casters and I like to eat at a good restuaruant every now and then.

I don't have blinds, decoys, or a Bad Boy buggy...But

I like my Benelli, my better sounding calls, and all the crap that I have accumalated....and as long as I don't get caught sneaking more of it into the house...I don't feel bad at all :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: