OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Photos of D&T and some questions

Started by jordanz7935, March 10, 2013, 11:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jordanz7935

I got the dub back from the gunsmith yesterday. Kind of happy. but 2 of the screws are protruding thru the receiver causing the action to catch/hang up slightly.Not a big deal but it makes me mad.I plan on handing it down to my grandkids someday.He said hes done 100's of 870's over the yrs.youd think that hes run into the same problem before.Now its sunday hes closed and i dont want to sight in untilthis is resolved. And i shouldnt have to make a 60 mile round trip to have something fixed that should have been done right the first time. What do you guys think i should do? Get shorter screws,or have him grind down the tips of the screws so i have as much screw/thread contact as possible.Anybody else have this problem after a D&T? It wont let me post a pic for some reason

Tom Foolery

I'd pull them out and grind them down if it were me.

Kind of crappy that a 'smith would let it leave like that.

jordanz7935

Yea thats what im thinkn but i dont have anything to grind it down with.pretty bad when you pay $95 for the D&T and a $8 base.Im probly gonna just bring it back to him to have him grind em down then tell him how i feel about his work.Ya know every gun shop or gunsmith i walk into treats me like a kid who doesnt know anything about guns.they try and sell me the cheapest guns they have and they talk to me like im a 4th grader. Im 24 not 12. Im no expert but i think im pretty well educated about guns and bows thanks to the many good forums online like this one.I may not know how to do things when it comes to fixing guns or bows but i feel do that i know what needs to be done 95% of the time. Does anyone on this forum live in central NY and know of a good gunsmith?

redarrow

Do you have a fully stocked hardware store where you can buy diff.screws ? Take one with you and buy replacements that are a couple thousands shorter.It may be tough to find fine threads like those used on firearms but they can be found.Someone on here may even have what you need.

dogwood

Quote from: redarrow on March 10, 2013, 02:38:41 PM
Do you have a fully stocked hardware store where you can buy diff.screws ? Take one with you and buy replacements that are a couple thousands shorter.It may be tough to find fine threads like those used on firearms but they can be found.Someone on here may even have what you need.
:z-winnersmiley:

jordanz7935

Thanks for the advice red arrow. Yea we have a few good hardware stores around ill have to go see if they have anything. Do you guys know what the thread pattern is? its the weaver base #62 and the screws that came with the base are what he used.I looked on weavers website and couldnt find anything

R AJ

It looks like he would have noticed the problem if he engaged the action. Sounds like he did the D&T and didn't check to see if there were any problems . This can scratch or score the top of the bolt.
He may not have realized that he went through the receiver but should have.

Sorry about your ordeal. Can you work out a free bore sighting and mounting or reduced cost?

redarrow

turkey_slayer