OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

3" #6 Turkey Thugs - PATTERN PICS ADDED

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, March 09, 2013, 06:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I tried them through 5 different chokes in my 3" 870 with 28" Barrel, at 73 Degrees, standing, shooting off-hand, 40 Yards from Muzzle to Target.  I started with the Tightest Choke, ran a Brush, next choke, etc. until I tried the most Open choke last.

Kick's GT .650 - 251 in 20" at 40 Yards
Ventilator .655
Indian Creek .665 - 140 in 10" + 158 = 298 in 20" at 40 Yards
Indian Creek .675
Primo's Dead Deer .690 - 288 in 20" at 40 Yards

The choke used didn't even seem to matter!!!  All 5 chokes shot great looking, even hunting patterns at 40 Yards.  4 of the 5 wads traveled no more than 15 to 20 Yards.  The last wad, through the .690 choke, traveled about 30 Yards.

These are easily the best shooting Lead shells I've ever shot.  They aren't even Copper or Nickel Plated.  It makes you wonder if plated shot really matters after all?

8upbowhunter

Man that's good to hear but I can't seem to find any Federal Shells here that are labeled as Turkey Thugs. Anyone have a picture of the box that they come in or any other info on them. I do not see them listed on Federals website either. I would like to get a few boxes to try in my guns.

nogoodreezen

You can only get them at Walmart. Hope this helps. They are pretty nice!

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

3" 870 Shell Shucker

The Indian Creek .665 gave the most dense pattern (Pretty much always does in my 870 or BPS).

140 in 10" at 40 Yards.  That's my best ever #6 Lead Pattern at 40 Yards.

This was in my 870, and my BPS will normally beat it every time, so I'm very happy at this point.

Who needs HTL now?  I'd post a lot number, but it seems like everybody is getting good patterns with these shells in #5's and #6's.

TRY THESE SHELLS.

Michigander

Has anybody shot the #6's in 20 ga?

I'm still waiting for my local Wal-mart to get the #6's in, all they have so far is #5's.

8upbowhunter

Quote from: nogoodreezen on March 09, 2013, 07:24:33 PM
You can only get them at Walmart. Hope this helps. They are pretty nice!

Thanks. Since our Walmart has the absolute worse sporting goods dept that I have ever been to I will have to travel to find them. They carry very little ammo, no guns and nothing useful as far as hunting or fishing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

nogoodreezen

I would love to find some 20 gauge 6's. Not sure they make them.

Michigander

At my Wal-mart there is a sticker on the shelf for 4's,5's,and 6's. All they had in though is 5's, this is in 12 and 20 ga. I spoke with the departement manager and he said that they were comming, but weren't in yet.

packmule

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on March 09, 2013, 07:27:32 PM
The Indian Creek .665 gave the most dense pattern (Pretty much always does in my 870 or BPS).

140 in 10" at 40 Yards.  That's my best ever #6 Lead Pattern at 40 Yards.

This was in my 870, and my BPS will normally beat it every time, so I'm very happy at this point.

Who needs HTL now?  I'd post a lot number, but it seems like everybody is getting good patterns with these shells in #5's and #6's.

TRY THESE SHELLS.

Glad to hear you're having luck with these too.  At less than $10/box, who needs $15/box lead loads!

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I finally counted the 20" ring on my best target.

Indian Creek .665 - 140 in 10" + 158 = 298 Total in 20" at 40 Yards

VooDooMagic

After seeing what the #5 Thug's did, I got a box of the #6's to try next.  So far I'm really liking their performance on paper and have no doubt they will work just as well on ol' skinhead!

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Michigander

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 10, 2013, 08:48:28 PM
sure wish I could find some in 20ga #6

I've been thinking the exact same thing! Haven't been able to find any yet.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

3" 870 Shell Shucker

It almost seems like the choke being used doesn't matter much.