turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

.665 Inv Plus too tight for 5s?

Started by TheSportsman, March 03, 2013, 12:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

Do you guys think a .665 Indian Creek choke would be too tight to push Winchester 3.5" 2oz and 2.25oz #5s down a 24" barrel in a Browning Gold?

appalachianstruttstopper

I personally think you should be right on the money with a .665. Probably do a little better with #6's, but with that bbl and choke in 2.25 oz #5's you will probably be getting in the low 100's 10" circle @ 40yds. Maybe even 120's. Winchester shells like browning and 835 bbls alot.

packmule

I use the .643 SSX in my 26" Inv+ barrel and shoot #5 lead loads through it.  It works really well, so no, I don't think the .665 will be too tight.  Hope it works well for you!

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I got 130 in 10" at 40 Yards with an INV+ BPS and 3" Win Sup HV 1.75 Ounce #5 Lead, using an Indian Creek .665 choke.

That choke in that gun has thrown awesome patterns with every shell I've tried.

It might just be awesome for you too.

The same choke and exit diameter in my 870 hasn't been quite as good, but still very usable.

btmonnat

''3" Win Sup HV 1.75 Ounce #5 Lead, using an Indian Creek .665 choke''

I tried this same combo in my Winchester SXP 24'' Inv. + barrel and it was terrible. I switched to the same load in # 6's and it was a little better. I ended up with a .643 SSX choke and 6's and that was much better in my particular gun. 3'' 1.75 oz put more pellets in the 10'' circle than the 3 1/2'' 2 oz did.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Every gun is a seperate case.  Hard to predict.  Sometimes you find the right combination.

reflexl

I just posted before I saw this. My Inv+ BPS and .665 IC choke just shot 155 in 10" at 40 yards with the 1.75oz #5 XX. I consider this outstanding. This weekend I will shoot the XX 2oz 3.5". I would be surprised if it did any better. 155 will knock the stuffings out of a turkey at 40 yards, especialy with #5. reflexl

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Every gun (Barrel) is a separate case study.

It will choose the chokes and loads that it likes, and not really care what you think about it. :TooFunny: