OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Browning BPS or Benelli Nova 20 gauge?

Started by ahfox16, March 01, 2013, 08:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahfox16

Considering both.  The Benelli I can purchase with 26" barrel ANIB for $390 and its the APG model.  Comes with all the factory choke tubes.  The Browing is a bit more dollars, but it has the 22" barrel and the old invector choke system.  It would however have to be dipped and that would run circa $200.  Which one would you folks buy and why?  Thanks

BrowningGuy88

That is up to which feels better to you. I would buy the Browning as I am not a fan of the way a Nova feels in MY hands.

Both are reliable, dependable guns that will kill turkeys!

redarrow

I have the Nova and love it. Forearm tends to rattle a bit though. Most of which can be adjusted out.

ahfox16

Looks like it will probably be the Nova.  The fellow wants $450 for the BPS and then I'd have to dip it.  For that kind of investment I'm getting into the range of buying a 20 gauge 1187 in camo and I don't want to spend that much money as this (at least for now) is a backup gun to my SBE in 12 gauge.

davisd9

Never held either, but if money was not an issue then I would hold and shoulder both, then make my decision.  Either one should not be difficult to get it where you want it.  Good Luck!  Which ever you choose, talk to William at SumToy about a choke.  The man knows his stuff and is very helpful.  Keep us up to date.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ahfox16

Got the Nova headed in and added a Indian Creek .555.  I've got about a dozen Nitro Ray size 7 turkey slaying 20 gauge rounds in the gun safe from a few years ago.  My buddy shoots a 24" Nova 20 gauge and averaged about 180 with his.  He is shooting a Pure Gold.570 ported.

Crockrj

Nova 20 w/ 26" barrel
Sumtoy .562
FHW 3" #7's
183 in 10" circle
Lasered 40 yards
My first season with the gun, so I haven't killed anything with it, but I like it.

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

R AJ

You may be able to put some cammo tape under the barrel and on the forearm where it meets the barrel to deaden the rattling some more on that Nova.

Look out for a BPS 20 ga.  in invector+ and if the price is right you will have another great turkey gun.