turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Giving them something different

Started by shootumindaface, March 05, 2011, 05:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootumindaface

On these boards I always see where folks say they use X call when they want to give them something different.. Either a suction yelper, scratcher, tube, or some different wood combo on a box or striker pot combo..
To the human ear a mouth call in proficient hands is the most realistic as evidenced by the GNCC..
So when somebody kills something with a "different" call is it that the call sounds different or is it actually mimicing the sound of the wild turkey better than what it is given credit for.. And if this call is so effective why not just begin with the "different" call and kill him day one..

With this being said, I have never used a call because I believe it was "different" On pressured to un pressured birds I take what calls I believe are the most accurate at reproducing a hen..

guesswho

Shootum, that may be why your in on such a small amount of kills every year.  You have to give them tough and call shy birds something different instead of the most realistic in order to get to watch them flop.  I heard it on tv one time from a group of pro's, so it must be true. 

This year I'm filling up the game pouch in my vest with different calls, the gobblers are going to think I'm a whole flock of "different" birds, some with nasal infections, colds, whooping cough, hair lip and even lipless.  I bet they won't be able to resist.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

drum817

Quote from: guesswho on March 05, 2011, 05:24:30 PM
Shootum, that may be why your in on such a small amount of kills every year.  You have to give them tough and call shy birds something different instead of the most realistic in order to get to watch them flop.  I heard it on tv one time from a group of pro's, so it must be true. 

This year I'm filling up the game pouch in my vest with different calls, the gobblers are going to think I'm a whole flock of "different" birds, some with nasal infections, colds, whooping cough, hair lip and even lipless.  I bet they won't be able to resist.

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

harvester

I carry several different types of pot calls and strikers; a couple slates, a couple glass and an aluminum this coming year. I really don't believe in giving them something different, one day they will gobble at a particular call and won't say a word the next. On one place I hunted, they would only gobble at a Cody call, NOTHING ELSE, ended up killing two birds that weekend. Go figure. :toothy12:

Boparks

I'm a friction caller and standard gear for me is a couple pot calls including crystal and slate with 3 strikers all of which change the tone of the pot calls along with a couple different sounding box calls...

May sound like a lot but it's a light load to carry in a vest.

I have found birds with one call only to have to change to another to work the bird.

And believe this or not ....on several hunts I've had people with me that sounded really good on a mouth call but the bird would not respond well.......I pull out a slate, crystal, or box and the bird would fire up and come in.......I know this works both ways but so far it hasn't

Sometimes what absolutely sounds best to us might not be what it takes to get a turkey in so I really believe from past experience having  a few different sounding calls is worth the trouble

jcarter

I can make certain calls better on one type of caller than I can on another. It is hard for me to make a good sounding gobbler cluck on my best mouth callers, but I can make a good cluck on a scratch box. Time of day and weather conditions have more to do with what call I use to make what sound I want to make and the response I am trying to get. I am beginning to think that frequency(as in sound) and pitch play a bigger role in getting a certain birds attention than I use to.

SC_WILDMAN

Couple of years ago I was hunting an area that i knew held birds. After i had spent almost 2 hours and tried nearly every call in my vest, i had nearly given up. I was getting ready to leave, but decided to give it one last try and pulled out the last call in my vest. When i hit that call, not one but two gobblers answered me and came in. They even flew across a small creek and both were double and even triple gobbling every time i hit that call. Why that particular call? I have no idea, but on that day nothing else worked. BTW, I killed one and missed the other one.  ;D

Shotgun

Every turkey I have ever called in was brought in the final steps  by a mouth yelper.  I have 100% confidence in it day in and day out.  Now there are times I get better responses from other calls, but what I have learned is typically its due to range.  Once I postion myself in their safe zone, they respond to a mouth yelper as good as anything.

mossy835

As a novice last year I did have success (or luck) with a simple Tom Gaskins cedar scratch box. On the first set up we had turkeys across a small farm in front of us (we were on a wooded ridge) at day break and they would not fly down. I started calling every once in a while and they did respond but stayed in the trees. What was fun was the birds that came to the call behind us chatting all of the way in to our location. One of the guys with me went up higher on the ridge and actually saw them but could not get a shot off. So for $25.0 on a call I had a good time. I also had a pot call and a long box but I never used them.

archery1

my buddy lives in sullivan county. he swears by woodhaven calls. he says he can use all kinds of calls and as soon as he hits the woodhaven box call ..bang.. they start up... so i think yes somethin different does work.. somethin the birds don't hear often ( or never )  and peeks their curiosity
Take a kid hunting

J Gilbert

I'm a big believer in it, especially on hard hunted birds. The birds at my lease hear a lot of the same things from the other guys, so I've gone to surfaces and calls that nobody else uses like aluminum and copper, as well as a trumpet.  I feel it gives me somewhat of an advantage to have a different sound, especially since I get to hunt a lot less than the other guys, so I try to make the most of the time I get to be in the woods

RaspyD

Quote from: guesswho on March 05, 2011, 05:24:30 PM

That's the funniest thing I've read in a while!! :TooFunny:

Just what do you think a turkey with a hair lip would sound like?? ;D (I have tears rolling down my face trying to get a visual of a hair lipped turkey) :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
Perfection Turkey Calls

guesswho

Quote from: RaspyD on March 09, 2011, 12:22:23 PM
Just what do you think a turkey with a hair lip would sound like?? ;D
I've got it down pat on a mouth call.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

guesswho

I change up calls frequently, but not callers.  Does that count?
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

3chunter

Every now and then you may find a bird with different sound preferences but that's only 4% of em. The rest can die to a normal sounding call. Even those 4% at the right time.