turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

For you lead 20 guys

Started by 870BkWht, February 26, 2013, 01:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

Anyone shooting the Remington Premier 20 magnums?  I picked up a box of 1 1/4oz #6s last week and I was curious if anyone had any experience shooting them and what kind of results they got?

I actually picked up several boxes of lead, including winchester xx mag #5s , the remingtons, Federal Premium #6s, and two boxes of Kent diamond shot #4 and #5s.  Im looking to find a good combo with my 870/tightwad/RemSF combos, and I really dont want to go down the HTL road with this project gun.

bushwhacker

I'm interested in how the Remington 6's in the tightwad work for you. I have an 870 that does really well with the heavyweight 7's but I just spent 100 for 25 shots. They aren't going to get any cheaper and I need a lead load to fall back on. I couldn't think of killing a Tom at forty with #5's through my undertaker or tightwad. Was thinking of trying some federal FCW in #6's also.

870BkWht

Quote from: bushwhacker on February 26, 2013, 07:53:41 PM
I'm interested in how the Remington 6's in the tightwad work for you. I have an 870 that does really well with the heavyweight 7's but I just spent 100 for 25 shots. They aren't going to get any cheaper and I need a lead load to fall back on. I couldn't think of killing a Tom at forty with #5's through my undertaker or tightwad. Was thinking of trying some federal FCW in #6's also.

bushwhacker,  Ill keep ya posted on the Federals and the Remingtons. 

I have to ask, but why could you not think about killing a bird at 40 yards with #5s with the 2 chokes you mentioned?  Does it not pattern well in your gun? 

I ask because I got an adequate pattern at 38 yards with my tightwad and remington nitro #4s and wouldn't hesitate to smack a bird with that load.

bushwhacker

I shot winchester 1.25 oz 5's and Remington nitro turkey 1.25 oz 5's through both chokes and they were horrible patterns at 40 yards. The best pattern was 50 something in 10". I'm going to try some #4's but 6's are hard to come by locally. The tightwad and undertaker were 7 pellets difference in 10" with the heavyweight 7's.

jakesdad

I have had decent luck with the rem. premier 6's out of my 870.Although never tested at 40,they were more than adequate at 35.Do know some guys have had not so good luck with these shells,but they are the shell I use when I shoot lead.recently got a hold of a case of the old remington hevishot so i'll be using that,but would not bat an eye if all I had was the remington lead.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

surehuntsalot

I use Federal pre FCW  3" 1-1/4oz #6's and 5's in my tightwad choke
Federal  FCW 3" 1-5/16oz #6's,5's and 4's in my factory full choke tube
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

870BkWht

Quote from: bushwhacker on February 26, 2013, 08:27:26 PM
I shot winchester 1.25 oz 5's and Remington nitro turkey 1.25 oz 5's through both chokes and they were horrible patterns at 40 yards. The best pattern was 50 something in 10". I'm going to try some #4's but 6's are hard to come by locally. The tightwad and undertaker were 7 pellets difference in 10" with the heavyweight 7's.

I guess at the end of the day all guns and chokes will shoot different and every hunter needs to have confidence in what he or she shoots.  I can appreciate your opinion and I glad you shared it with me.

I on the other hand refuse to spend my money on the HTL stuff for this 20guage or my 12 for that matter.  Just a personal opinion, but my first bird I ever killed was with a 1 oz load of #6s from a federal hi power field load at 35 steps and I havent looked back since. Again it really comes down to the hunters choice.

dawei

I have not had any luck w/Remington® Premier® 3"Mag 1185fps 1¼oz #6Pb (P20XHM6) in any of my three 20ga guns. Now the cheaper Remington® Nitro-Turkey™ 3" Mag 1185fps 1¼oz #5Pb (NT20M5) OTOH; pattern very well in ALL my 20ga guns when using a .570" choke.

I would not hesitate to reach out to 40yds with the Nitro-Turkey™ #5's!

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

bushwhacker

Dawei, what kind of numbers do you get with the nitro turkey #5's? I'm shooting a .570 and a .575 and neither shoot them well. My beat pattern was 50 something in ten at 40 with the .570 undertaker. If I could get a lead load that would put 80 in ten at 40 I would never buy another htl load. Which direction should I go, try #4 shot or go to #6. I can't get anything but 5's around here and I can already tell my gun doesn't like 5's.

ahfox16

Winchester 1 5/16 ounce size 5, provided me circa 90 hits in a 10 circle with a CNC 20 gauge choke tube at 40 yards.  Think the constriction was .570.  It was by far the best pattern I had.  The second best was size 4 Winchester.  No other lead shells did worth a hoot.

dawei

Quote from: bushwhacker on February 28, 2013, 07:38:43 PM
Dawei, what kind of numbers do you get with the nitro turkey #5's? I'm shooting a .570 and a .575 and neither shoot them well. My beat pattern was 50 something in ten at 40 with the .570 undertaker. If I could get a lead load that would put 80 in ten at 40 I would never buy another htl load. Which direction should I go, try #4 shot or go to #6. I can't get anything but 5's around here and I can already tell my gun doesn't like 5's.
Unlike others here I use the Remington® Turkey target printed on a standard  8½x11 piece of paper. These targets have a 3" circle & a 8" circle. The two following patterns are #4Pb @ 40yds & #5Pb @ 30yds. (I'll have to dig around to see what other patterning in 20ga I can find.)

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

870BkWht

I would not hesitate one bit to hunt with either of those loads, but that choke with that Rem Nitro really looks like a winner to me.  I might buy a box of those also and give them a try.