Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Please help me set up my daughter's new Super Bantam!

Started by nogoodreezen, February 20, 2013, 06:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nogoodreezen

I just bought a Mossberg Super Bantam for my 9 year old daughter.  She went with me to Nashville last week and is as fired up as I am about April.  I have no idea where to start with this gun.  I have a tru glo red dot for it but I need recomendations as far as a choke and loads.  I have never owned a 20 gauge but after shooting this one a few times it may become dad's new gun if I get it all sorted out.  I shoot a pure gold on my 835 and love it but I don't think they make a choke for this gun.  I may be wrong.  Thanks for any advice and assistance.

BrowningGuy88

Well it depends on what you want out of the gun. In my 20 gauge I like a SumToy 562 with Hevi 13 or Fed HWT shells for me shooting it. When my little sister carries it this year it will have a Truglo GSX 565 in it with Winchester lead 5's.

Are you setting it up for you daughter to hunt with or your dad? That will help a lot.

There are a bunch of great chokes out there for that gun: Indian Creek 555, Pure Gold 555 or 570, Sumtoy 562 or whatever works in your gun (he will swap til it is right), Truglo SSX 550, etc.

For loads the Hevi 13 or the Federal Heavyweight shells in #6 or #7 shot are hard to beat. I prefer #6's, but most like #7's.

savduck

Most of us have maximized our performance out of our 20 ga and made them shoot extremely tight. You would probably want something a little more forgiving and open for a youth hunter. I havent shot the mossbergs, but my weatherby takes the mossberg chokes.

I'd say you would want a choke that was a 90 to 120 type pattern, those are good tight killing patterns but still have plenty of wiggle room with there more open pattern. In my gun, that would be a pure gold 570 tempest. I have shot this choke in several makes and models and it put up that type pattern every time ive shot it. You may even try just the factory full. It may shoot good enough with federal heavyweights.

I'd suggest getting the shells first. Federal heavyweight 7s or 6 s or Hevi 13 7s or 6s. Try a couple out of the factory full first..you may get an adequate pattern without having to put another 75 dollars in a choke.

With a child, a good red dot is a must. I wouldn't trust open sights, to many user error opportunities even without the hill even being nervous. You may also take into consideration a child's ability to hold the weight with their arm out stretched. I'd recommend also getting something like a trigger stick
Georgia Boy

nogoodreezen

Not my dad....my daughter's dad....me!  I was just making a joke about how much I liked the gun.  You said "he" would swap them out....who is he?  Thanks for the reply.

nogoodreezen

It came with a factory X-full.  I havent had a chance to pattern it yet and you may be correct.  Planning on doing some shooting this weekend to see what we have.  Just got it Sunday after we left the convention.

savduck

Quote from: nogoodreezen on February 20, 2013, 06:22:42 PM
Not my dad....my daughter's dad....me!  I was just making a joke about how much I liked the gun.  You said "he" would swap them out....who is he?  Thanks for the reply.

In that case get a sumtoy or SSX and send some federal or Hevi 13 7 s down the pipe
Georgia Boy

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: nogoodreezen on February 20, 2013, 06:22:42 PM

He is William Lambert who builds SumToy chokes.

gobblergls

Here's my Super Bantam.  Claw sling, PG .570 choke, Trijicon Reflex sight, neoprene comb raising kit (Bear Creek), Uncle Mike's slip-on recoil pad on top of factory pad.  Pattern below is hand loaded TSS 9s, 1 oz.  40 yards.  150 in 10" ring; 153 in 10-20" ring.  Low recoil load for small folks.  According to load developer, Kyle Smith, originator of the TSS loads, 1250 fps.  Not too shabby for an adult, either.

savduck

That will get it done right there Gil. And only 1 oz to boot.
Georgia Boy

nogoodreezen

I got the pictanny rail and red dot mounted this morning. I ordered a Sumtoy. 562 Friday. It is starting to come together. Can't wait to shoot some HW 7's through it. After talking to William I am pretty sure I'm putting together a real head thumper.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

whiskey

That gun looks great! My daughter uses the same gun. We went with an Undertaker choke and Hevi Mag Blends. It puts up great 30 yard patterns and killed well at 40 yards last year. I intended it to be a 30 yard gun, not too tight to hit at 15 yards. I put a Burris FF2 on her gun this year.

Good luck to both of you.

Here are some pics to show your daughter.

nogoodreezen

Yeah I am a little concerned that the Sumtoy may shoot a little too good of a pattern. I have the factory x-full choke as well. I may let her shoot with that and swap out if my wife or I want up use it. I originally bought this for her but I am really liking the way it is coming together. Congrats to your daughter on a nice bird.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

BOFF

Factory Choke that came with the Super Bantam. H13 #7s.

It will kick you worse than my 12ga. My 11 yo daughter uses it though and took her first bird last year.

Great rounded pattern for unsteady shots. Though she out shoots the boys

God Bless,
David B.

R AJ

Look into 2 3/4" H-13 #7s and 2 3/4" Fed HW #7s for your daughter. Good for a very high percentage of actual shots in the field. Many of the TV shots are well under 25 yards. These include misses as well!

gobblergls

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Mossberg state that the Turkey choke that comes with the Super Bantam is not for steel which includes HTL?
I find that the gun shooting 1 5/8 oz. was not as bad as my 12s in felt recoil because I used a slip on pad on top of the factory pad.  Prior to shooting TSS out of it, I shot 1 7/16 Nitro Ammo #7.