turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Does Any Love Remain for #7.5 Lead???

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, February 10, 2013, 03:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I have patterned a lot of choke constrictions with #7.5 Lead at 30 Yards and 35 Yards.

To be honest, IM, LF, and Full will all deliver a Turkey killing pattern at 35 Yards..................even with only 1.125 Ounces of #7.5 Lead.  1250-1300fps loads.  Head and Neck hits on a turkey target 100% of the time with a Light Full or Full choke at 35 Yards.  No need to buy and try a half dozen different chokes and loads.  Light Full or Full Choke & #7.5 Lead.  You'd only have to shave your maximum ethical range by 5 Yards, from 40 to 35.  An easy forgiving pattern that still gives a bunch of hits at 35.

I can just hear the outrage by some over the idea of shooting turkeys with "cheap" shells.  I know, it sounds crazy, but if a turkey closes the distance, it won't matter.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Now that you've read my first post above............

I believe that the real reason most people don't use #7.5 Lead, is because they don't want to limit their range.  I also believe that 90% of people who buy and use HTL, do so for the same reason.  They don't want to limit their range to 35, or 40 Yards.  They want to shoot 50 Yards+.  People don't spend $4+ per shell so that they can shoot 40 Yards.  90% of them want super shells that can kill at 50 Yards+.

Hooksnhorns

That's interesting. I wonder tho, does pb 7.5s have the energy to cleanly kill at that distance? And if so, will 7s kill at 40? Not tryin to be a smart a&$, I'm just curious bout it.
Don't Tread On Me

ericjames

Well I am gonna load me some this year and probably hunt with this year.My plan is to use a 3" hull make a  straight 7.5 load and a duplex load with  1 oz, of #6 and 7/8 oz. of # 7.5 as soon as I get me some hulls. I loaded some in a 2.75" with 1 oz of #6 and 1/2 oz of #7.5 and  at 35 yards was head crushing . I remember when I was 14-15, everyone  hunted with #4's and I knew of 2 older guys that hunted with 7.5's. and they killed more turkeys than any of the others shooting the 4's

BrowningGuy88

If I was always hunting thick places where when I saw the turkey he was in range, I would love a 3" 2 ounce load of straight 7.5 nickel plated. However that isn't the case where I hunt.

ericjames

About 70% of my shots I have made in my life were less than 20 yards. Everyone of the rest have been less than 35 except for 2 of them witch were way to far.. I wont even mention the distance, they were taken with mag blends. Sometimes I feel like its useless to be shooting HTL down here in south alabama where its so thick and a long shot is 30 yards.I thought about going back to lead and just keeping some HTL in my pack in case I get to a place where I can make longer shots

BrowningGuy88

:toothy9:
Quote from: ericjames on February 10, 2013, 01:06:35 PM
About 70% of my shots I have made in my life were less than 20 yards. Everyone of the rest have been less than 35 except for 2 of them witch were way to far.. I wont even mention the distance, they were taken with mag blends. Sometimes I feel like its useless to be shooting HTL down here in south alabama where its so thick and a long shot is 30 yards.I thought about going back to lead and just keeping some HTL in my pack in case I get to a plpace where I can make longer shots

I hear you. I like lead too. I just want #5's.

BandedSpur

Quote from: Hooksnhorns on February 10, 2013, 08:24:32 AM
That's interesting. I wonder tho, does pb 7.5s have the energy to cleanly kill at that distance? And if so, will 7s kill at 40? Not tryin to be a smart a&$, I'm just curious bout it.

Lead 7.5s @ 1200 fps have the energy to cleanly kill turkeys to 35 yds. I load them for the open barrel of my O/U. With a lt mod they average around 120/10 @ 35 yds (1.25 oz).

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI hear you. I like lead too. I just want #5's.

Those big ol' #5's are a freight train, aren't they? :drool:

Considering the power of #5's, plus the higher pellet count, I have a hard time understanding the popularity of #4's for turkeys during the heyday of Lead.....unless those people also used those #4's for ducks and small geese.  Then they could use one shell for everything.  Even then, #5's would have clobbered ducks too.

I think #5, #6, and #7.5 is where it's at for almost all small game hunting with Lead.  I could see using #4's for geese though.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on February 10, 2013, 10:33:48 PM
QuoteI hear you. I like lead too. I just want #5's.

Those big ol' #5's are a freight train, aren't they? :drool:

Considering the power of #5's, plus the higher pellet count, I have a hard time understanding the popularity of #4's for turkeys during the heyday of Lead.....unless those people also used those #4's for ducks and small geese.  Then they could use one shell for everything.  Even then, #5's would have clobbered ducks too.

I think #5, #6, and #7.5 is where it's at for almost all small game hunting with Lead.  I could see using #4's for geese though.

I could happily hunt the rest of my days with lead 5's. Doesn't mean I want continue shooting HTL, but if I can get a combo with a consistent 135+ at 40 with #5's I won't run HTL in that set up.

stinkpickle

No bird I shot with Federal's old 3-2-7.5's out to 40 yards (plus a couple more I can't mention on this site) ever lived to complain about it.  ;)   A few short range birds got away with some hearing damage, though.

ericjames

i wish federal would bring back there old shells back!I shot the 3.5-2.25-6  back then I never tried the 7.5 but I wish I would have bought a 100 boxes back

Hooksnhorns

Quote from: BandedSpur on February 10, 2013, 10:08:11 PM
Quote from: Hooksnhorns on February 10, 2013, 08:24:32 AM

Lead 7.5s @ 1200 fps have the energy to cleanly kill turkeys to 35 yds. I load them for the open barrel of my O/U. With a lt mod they average around 120/10 @ 35 yds (1.25 oz).

Thnx brother!
Don't Tread On Me

nate12285

That's interesting. Makes me want to give some a try.

surehuntsalot

back in the day,several birds fell in front of a fixed modified barrelled 2-3/4" 1100 using 1-1/4oz #7.5 high brass squirrel shells,but don't tell the birds today,they wouldn't believe you
it's not the harvest,it's the chase