Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Burris FastFire II Review - Updated sighting in 3/19

Started by sugarray, March 04, 2011, 03:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugarray

I was blessed with an opportunity to review the Burris FastFire II.  Big thanks goes out to Burris Optics for this great opportunity.

First Impression:
It is A LOT smaller than I ever thought it would be.  Still a solid, well built sight.  I have no reservations about the size or durability of the sight.  Packaging seem nice.  All parts have their own place in foam cushioning, but one has slipped free due to plastic wrap being a little loose.  I didn't like this b/c I didn't like the piece rattling around during shipping and hitting the sight.  Easy fix for Burris though.  

Here it is out of the packing

Close up views

Putting it together, first put the battery in

Put the back plate on and screw down to mounting bracket

All together

Hard Cover

Here are a couple of views through the sight, realize this is closer than your eye, but good example of how great the FOV is.

Here you can see the dot as well

Close Up of the Light sensor

And the Grand Finale, Comparison to the Mueller Quick Shot

My Final Views:

#1.  This is a GREAT sight.  It is very sold, good weight, well built and small.
#2.  I am a little concerned about having to change the battery by taking the sight off, but If you do it before the season, no big deal as I will always shoot my gun before the season
#3.  Very simple to operate, just turn it on.  You don't have to fiddle with selecting a setting or reticle
#4.  Size of the dot is small.  I don't like a single dot for hunting, but it is very easy to see outside
#5.  The smaller size seems perfect.  Less chance to snag on something in the woods.  Also, sits so much lower, I wouldn't have to use the elevated cheek pad

So, it is a great sight, very small, easy to operate.  I imagine it will be a breeze to sight in as well.  I really like the CQB reticle much better than the small dot.  Price is $100 more than the Mueller, I just don't see the difference.  I cannot find the water rating for the Mueller, but Burris Optics has told us what it is, so one rain storm may prove the extra $100 worth it.  Still Mueller wins out for me, but for those who want a proven winner with bright 4 MOA dot, this is a great choice.  

I will add pics through the site at my turkey decoy and the target at 40 yds when I get it mounted.  This is going on the 20 gauge for my son.

Looking at target 3" dot 40 yds

Looking at turkey 40 yds

Sighting in update 3/19/11

I went to shoot to get final alignment.  I was shooting a little high and left.  So first shot at 40 yds confirmed this.  So I moved the dot from the POA to the POI.  Well, next shot went way left and only about 1/4-1/2 of the pattern hit the paper.  So, I figured I went the wrong way and moved it TWICE back the other way and then missed.  I missed 2 more times.  I then aligned again using the front bead and putting the dot on the POA.  This got it on left and right, but was way high.  I then moved POA to POI and shot way low.  So, I backed up to 23 yds and started over with dove loads.  This worked well and now I am on at 40 yds.

As I look back, I noticed after loosening the set screws, the dot moved.  I thought the gun had moved on the rest, but after shooting the dot had to have moved.  I then kept a close eye on it and every time I tightened the set screws, the dot would move a little.  It finally set, but I am now a little concerned with the dot and this not being as easy to align as I first thought.   This just moved the FF II down a little on my list.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

BigHooks

Can't wait to see the other pics. Thanks Sugarray great pics an reviews.

Sand Man

Nice review.  I finally got mine mounted today and sighted it in.  My buddy also had his Muller.  After looking at both, I'm happy I went with the Burris.   :you_rock:

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

schief

the FFII comes with 2 rubber gaskets. 1 thin and the other which is thicker and stiff. why do they include both in box.

sugarray

I'm not sure, I only had the one and it was pretty stiff.  I didn't have a problem.  I think it is related to using a protector or not, though.

schief

Quote from: sugarray on March 07, 2011, 09:00:41 AM
I'm not sure, I only had the one and it was pretty stiff.  I didn't have a problem.  I think it is related to using a protector or not, though.

i think you are right about using thin one with protector. i think i got both with the burris protector not the sight

mossy835

Ray nice review but I am still glad I went with the Mueller. On my install and information sheet that came with mine it states water and shock proof (the waterproof is also on the outside of the box the Mueller came in). I am sure both Mueller and Burris make a solid product but I like the larger size of the Mueller and not having to remove the scope for battery replacement.

gatrkyhntr70

Love my ff2's!! Havent seen the mueller in person, they may not be bad for the price. They just look to bulky imo.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

Shotgun Dave

Hey Suggaray read your review sounds great .  I got my Mueller on a couple of weeks ago and I'm really impressed with it so far ! I didn't realize the Burris was that much smaller than the Mueller ! I would rate my Mueller A 10 so far but The real test Starts April 2 here in Tennessee !!!!!  This is a great review Suggaray ! Good luck This season !!
All things work together for good !!!

BurrisOptics

Great review, Ray! 

The gaskets are a personal choice.  Either one works just fine.  I prefer the rigid version but it won't work with our protector.  Both work just fine with Gobbler74's protector. 

Ray, what's the weight difference between the 2 sights?  I doubt it would be a noticeable difference but was just curious.

sugarray

Well, I do think it is noticeable.  The FF II is lighter.  I didn't weigh them and I am not going to take the Mueller off to weigh it.

The specs on FF II say 0.9 oz, 25 grams for the sight not including mount

The specs on Mueller say 4 oz, 120 grams

BIG, BIG difference!!  It is noticeable to me.  I know for a fact that if the FF II was offered with at least a Big circle with a dot in the center, that is what I would have purchased, no questions.  It sits so low, is small and light.  An awesome sight.

savduck

I want a FFII but Im holding out hoping Burris hears the wishes and comes out with the FF3.

Sight with a center cross hair circle and a way to change the battery without pulling the sight off. Ive seen them up close and will have one....just waiting see what time brings.
Georgia Boy

Jourdan_D

Quote from: sugarray on March 09, 2011, 10:41:27 AM
 I know for a fact that if the FF II was offered with at least a Big circle with a dot in the center, that is what I would have purchased, no questions.  It sits so low, is small and light.  An awesome sight.

Same here! it's the only thing stopping me from by 2 of them for both my turkey guns.  other then that the ones i've seen in person seem awesome.

BurrisOptics

Sorry guys but a circle with a dot just isn't possible with a sight of this size.  At least not at the price point we are trying to stay at.  That doesn't mean there won't be a ret change.  I can't say much more than that.