turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How long do you sit?

Started by Missed-Em, February 07, 2011, 05:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

If I'm on a new piece of land I wouldn't sit at all, I would keep moving till I got a gobble. If I know the land, I would sit for about an hour.

bornagain64

Last year I did a lot of running and gunning. This year I plan on sitting more.
I hunt public land, so  a lot depends on pressure. i like to get away from people.

WyoHunter

Quote from: turkey slayer on February 07, 2011, 05:27:42 PM
I probably don't sit at all. I would start moving ,and looking for a bird that will talk to me.
Thta's what I do!  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

hookedspur

Quote from: hobbes on February 07, 2011, 08:16:20 PM
Quote from: turkey slayer on February 07, 2011, 05:27:42 PM
I probably don't sit at all. I would start moving ,and looking for a bird that will talk to me.

If the situation seems to warrant a sit, I'll sit, but I'm normally on the move looking for a responsive bird.
:agreed:hobbes
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

MarkJM

I'll usually sit 2 hours or so calling every half hour or soo..
MuellerCustomCalls

FttFttVroom!

Gobbling Buck

It honestly depends on my mood that morning.  If I like the area and either have a history of encounters in the area or am convinced there is a good chance of a bird coming in (even silent), I'm staying put for maybe up to 3 or 4 hours.  Then there are other times I may sit 30 minutes and gone to the next spot.  As you can see, I am part turkey....and try to remain as unpredictable as they are. :icon_thumright:

kyhareraiser

where i hunt i can ride my 4-wheeler to the top of a ridge and listen a daylight to see where the birds gobble ..i don't go after the first one i here i wait to i here one gobble a few times  like he's trying to let the hens know where he is .then i'll go to him ,play him till he moves the other direction or is laying on the ground .heehee

TrackeySauresRex

It all depends how much I want to sleep  ;D
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Illinois Tom Hunter

i'll usually sit a couple of hours if I know the birds are there- I've killed birds that came in silent after calling every 10 minutes or so using yelps, clucks, and purrs.

WildSpur

I walk until I set up on a gobbling bird.  When I set up and if it is right, I only sit for 5 minutes.

Cluck more, yelp less

reynolds243

if i dont hear anything then i will slowly move around searching for strut areas after sun up. If still no luck i will move toward areas i know turkeys usually are during early afternoon times. If by 8-9ish still nothing i head out to get breakfast and come back after 10am.  I normally cant sit longer then 45mins in one spot without hearing something. just not my cup of tea is all.

bowhunter84

usually an hour or so and then i'll move on

Timmer

It definitley depends on the amount of land you have and if you heard any gobbling before sun up, even in the distance.

I've killed more than one bird 1-2 hours after daybreak.  In those instances, there was gobbling off in the distance and dead silence after flydown time.  Obviously, those boys were henned up but the hen went off to nest and he came looking for the pretty girl that was calling earlier. 

If you didn't hear a single gobble from the roost, then probably 1/2-1 hour max. 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

hunttherut

I will sit in the morning and wait on them in the afternoon if I know where they are going to roost.  Other than that I like to move until I hear one.