OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How long do you sit?

Started by Missed-Em, February 07, 2011, 05:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missed-Em

Looks like we need some new stuff so lets get started:

You come into a hunting area befor light, no gobbles so you pick a tree and sit - how long till you move on? :jackson: :jackson: :emoticon-cartoon-012:

mfd1027

I'll usually sit for an hr. or so calling sporadically and listening.   Some morning's they just gobble later or not at all.
If they were in the area the day before they're still there- lot's of reason's (HEN'S!!!) they choose to be quiet.   
Dan

OLE RASPY

I have sit all day cuz i just got off work or something u know a nap here and a nap there but mostly couple hours and then move on.

turkey slayer

I probably don't sit at all. I would start moving ,and looking for a bird that will talk to me.

guesswho

Quote from: turkey slayer on February 07, 2011, 05:27:42 PM
I probably don't sit at all. I would start moving ,and looking for a bird that will talk to me.
Thats my approach.  I'll ease around until I have a visual or until one does sound off.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

old frank

If I can't hear a bird or get one to respond after fly down light, I usually sit an hour. This being I am in a good area that I know turkeys use.

I have had a turkey just come walking out of the woods or down an old logging road and never make a sound. They seem to do this early in the day.

After that hour I will start moving to different areas and calling every 100 yards or so. If I don't hear a bird I will find a good spot to sit and wait for thirty minutes or so. Calling every so often. Heavy eyes have expanded these 30 minute sits to 50 minute naps before.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

i don't sit at all.

if I'm on a large chunk of ground, I'm off to a different area within 20 minutes of when I expect to hear birds talking.

i tend to be very patient when I'm working turkeys but I'm VERY, VERY likely to abandon an area with no gobbling activity to head to another one.

i want to find turkeys that want to die and the best way to do that is to cover ground.

if I can't get on a gobbling bird after multiple attempts, I'll resort to cutting and running with a crow call and occassionally a turkey call.
i won't call even when cutting and running unless I'm in an area that provides a great set-up and I've already picked a tree to jump on if a gobbler cuts me off.

if I'm not in that kind of location, I just cutt and run using a crow call......

as far as waiting for birds to gobble.... it ain't my style.  if they don't want to play today, i go to another farm or spot on that farm and try to find one that wants to play.  you will NEVER find me camped out at a tree for an hour HOPING for something to happen during the first two hours of daylight.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: old frank on February 07, 2011, 07:24:52 PM
If I can't hear a bird or get one to respond after fly down light, I usually sit an hour. This being I am in a good area that I know turkeys use.

I have had a turkey just come walking out of the woods or down an old logging road and never make a sound. They seem to do this early in the day.

After that hour I will start moving to different areas and calling every 100 yards or so. If I don't hear a bird I will find a good spot to sit and wait for thirty minutes or so. Calling every so often. Heavy eyes have expanded these 30 minute sits to 50 minute naps before.

exactly what I would do.. even the nap part haha
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jbird22

Not long at all but that approach has cost me a time or two. It has paid off way more than it has cost though. Our birds are usually vocal very early here so that's why I do what I do. The only way I will wait one out for a while is if I KNOW FOR A FACT (as in watched him fly up the evening before in the exact area) a gobbler is within a small radius of me.

unclerick

I'll sit an hour or so calling lightly every 10 or 15 minutes till my tail gets sore, then before I move I get a little agressive on the calling to see what happens, if nothing then I move to another spot while calling some, then sit and do it all over again, I've sit for 12 hours in 1 spot that I knew turkeys were at.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

hobbes

Quote from: turkey slayer on February 07, 2011, 05:27:42 PM

If the situation seems to warrant a sit, I'll sit, but I'm normally on the move looking for a responsive bird.

joshua

Usually sit tight if I know birds frequent the area.  Maybe a couple hrs.  If nothing responds I will go to plan B or C or keep trying to spark up a conversation with a lovestruck tom.  The more land you cover the more likely you are to cross paths with that bird. 
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

siyakadog

We like cover ground also- 10 to 20 minutes top unless we have a bird respond and it will work with us.  Then I am very patient, once held my gun on a turkey 40 minutes waiting for them to come into range.  I was mentally trying to ease my back spasms and my legs were numb :gobble:
but we got a double!!

savduck

Not long if I know they arent there.
Georgia Boy

shootumindaface