OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

40 yard turkey gun 20 gauge

Started by redowl, February 01, 2013, 05:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nogoodreezen

I am in the process of building a Mossy Super Bantam. I am waiting on a Sumtoy 562-5. After shooting a few lead loads and talking to William I am excited about the possibilities with the gun. I originally started this gun for my wife and daughters but it will probably head out with me a few times this year. I love the recoil and the light weight. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Rod Severns

I too am in the process of putting together a 20 gauge turkey/duck gun, using an A5 Mag Browning and asking questions and reading. I am an annal pattern tester, stemming from trap shooting and hand loading duck loads, both starting many years ago. I do have a previous experience with a 20 gauge turkey gun, a decision made from a sore back and long walks. I started with a old M12 20, that I had sent to Briley to install choke tubes, with the understanding I wanted a turkey gun. Briley did an excellent job, and that gun will deliver excellent 30 yd patterns with premium 2 3/4" shells loaded with plated #6's, but I was never comfortable stretching farther, the pattern deteriorated rapidly with distance. Hunting public lands will sometimes make your needs change, and I was on a quest to have a 40 yd 20 gauge. I purchased a M1 S90 Benelli 20 gauge and started testing. Remember that this was a few years ago, everything has improved, most important the info from the internet. I was finally successful, but it wasn't easy, cheap or especially fun. I tested every 20 gauge 3" "turkey" load on the market at the time, made several people mad returning choke tubes, and was eating ibuprophen like M&M's from my shoulder killing me. I was on my 3rd custom choke tube when I stumbled on to some Winchester XX magnums, lighter payload than the turkey loads and bingo, finally something that I could live with. Like the earlier gentleman said, the premium pheasant loads all shot better out of my Benelli than any of the turkey loads. In the end the only thing I really liked about the Benelli was caring it, very light, but kicked like a young mule and the only thing that I found it useful for was turkey hunting. All of the testing I think took it's toll. You will probably get lucky and buy a great choke tube and some of the HW shells and knock the center out of a 10" circle at 40 yds. My luck is I will be shooting a lot of shells and have an up front understanding with the choke tube supplier. Good luck, and probably wouldn't hurt to have some anti inflammatory drugs on hand.

Woodsman4God

Quote from: redowl on February 01, 2013, 05:45:39 PM
Im thinking about using a different tukey gun this year.Im getting tired of carrying a heavy model 1100 and 835.Will a mossy 500  20 gauge work with lead 6s @ 40 yards.what choke for lead.

I shoot a mossy 500 in 20 with a PG tempest and I use the Federal copper plated lead #6 for sighting in and I will get a good enough pattern to kill @ 40 sometimes a lil thin in areas but still good. I use the Fed hw #7s as my primary