OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Black Kettle Oklahoma

Started by bosstom3, January 29, 2013, 05:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bosstom3

Heading to Black Kettle Oklahoma public ground this spring. Has anyone ever hunted there and can give us some insight on the place. Thanks in advance.

budtripp

We hunted quail there about 10 or 12 years ago. As stated its a beautiful place. Lots of quail and I remember seeing several flocks of turkeys. Lots of rattlers too, be careful when you sit down  :o

GobbleNut

If you are not familiar with Black Kettle, it is basically made up of a bunch of separated parcels of land scattered within a lot of private land holdings in the area.  Some of the parcels are small, and some are pretty good size.  There are a lot of turkeys in the area, but unless things have changed in the last couple of years, there are a lot of hunters there too.  From what I was told, it is pretty crowded at the start of the season and then the pressure slacks off later on.  The trick to success there I think is to figure out which parcel to hunt and then get there before the next guy.  It should be interesting....

jblackburn

I'm going to try it for the first time this year.  Hopefully I will be able to take off during the week to avoid the weekend rush.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Gooserbat

It's easy hunting and rough competition.  I can find easier places to hunt public land birds.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ridgerunner

I hunted it in 2006 after the wildfires..we killed one bird...lots of hunters..but the birds are there. Find water and hunt good sign around the water.