Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Let's get to know each other

Started by jblackburn, January 28, 2013, 10:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jblackburn

I figured it would be fun to introduce ourselves and talk about what we do in our non-turkey hunting time!

I am originally from a cattle farm in Missouri.  I grew up country, hunting and fishing every chance I got.  I got a BS in Ag Education from the University of Missouri then a Masters in Ag Education from the University of Kentucky.  I taught high school ag education and was an FFA advisor for a few years in north MO (lots of big turkeys!) before moving to Oklahoma to work on a PhD in Ag Education at Oklahoma State.  As I said in another post, I am a staff member for Gooserbat Game Calls out of Oklahoma and I won the 2012 Oklahoma State turkey calling contest.

I am married with three kids, two boys, 4 and 2, and a girl, 9 months.  I will take the oldest turkey hunting with me this spring!!!!!  I am very excited about that!   

That's me in a nutshell!  BTW, my name is Joey.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

turkey harvester

Ok I'll go next. My name is Jeff, I live in S.E. Mo and have lived there my whole life. Grew up hunting and fishing on the current river for smallies. I'm a welder by trade, but 11 years ago i got my associate degree in deversified technology. I teach welding to high school students and some adults at night. I taught myself how to turkey hunt, my dad doesn't do it much. Now they are my passion. I love to run beagles for bunnies also. I'm married and have a 17 year old, a 27 yearold step-son, and a 6 year old grandaughter that we raise. She might be ready this spring for her first hunt, she loves to hear them gobble.
I'm a junior advisor for our local skills USA organization in our region, love to see the kidos learn and take pride in their work. Well I recon that bout sums it up. Ready to kick butt this spring.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

harleytom

I'm Greg, I live in central AL but grew up in N. MS. I am a life-long hunter but only started chasing turkeys about 8 years ago, needless to say I was hooked very quickly. I am a practicing pharmacist and have 3 sons, 1 daughter and a 4yo grandson. Hope to get my oldest son on his first bird this spring and take my grandson along soon.

Swamp

Guess I'm next, my name is Ben I live TN in a very small town called . I'm a Nissan tech. At the plant in Smyrna. 19 years old Ive started taxidermy lessons this year and currently mounted one raccoon working on my second now. I make a few calls In my spare time. I hunt just about every thing mainly coon deer turkey and predators.

rafsobbob

PICK ME NEXT   Hello I am Bob and I am a turkey hunter ;D.  Born and raised in Green Bay Wisconsin married my high school sweetheart 5 days after she graduated fron high school. We have  2 daughters and they have blessed us with 5 grand kids 2 boys 3 girls. I am retired from the Air Force as a Master Sergent in the aircraft maintenance field. Our last assingment was to Iowa upon retiring we decided to stay here Great hunting and the Grandkids are here. WE ( my wife and I )turkey hunt, deer hunt and pheasant hunt. It works great when I want new gear I buy it for her then borrow it ;D. We own 26 acres in southern Iowa that gives us rights to almost 500 acres of great turkey and deer ground ( I trade our hay ground for timber usage)  always looking for new places to hunt heck I will host a hunt in trade for a new spot in or out of state (HINT HINT HINT)

That about it

Bob
My Grace Card "I promise to pray for you everyday, ask for your forgiveness, grant you the same, and be your friend ............... forever"

Timberland Taxidermy

My name is Cole and I own a taxidermy business in NW Missouri. I have a wife and two kids, a 6yr old daughter and a 9 year old son that will be hunting for his first spring gobbler this year. I grew up hunting just about everything, and have always favored hunting spring turkeys. A friend turned me on to bowhunting them a couple years ago, and I'm hooked. (pun intended) He is the producer of Cuddeback's Wild Outdoors, and we film almost all of our hunts. It's a lot more work than chasing them with a shotgun but some of the footage we get is well worth it. This is my first year in OG's turkey contest, but by the looks of it we should have a fairly strong team. Should be fun.

P.S. Here is a little video my buddy put together of our hunts last year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPASgKtSaDs

Thomas6689

Hey im Thomas im 23 years old, and engaged to be married in june.  i work maintenance at a Lumber company until something better presents its self.  I grew up in a small town in kentucky close to the tennessee line, If im not working or sleeping im hunting or fishing always! Im looking forward to a good turkey season and i hope everybody puts tha hammer down on a bunch of em!

RIStrutStopper

I'm Paul. I grew up in NYC. Believe it or not, the fishing was pretty good. Hunting, not so much. My family didn't hunt at all. I moved upstate to the Syracuse area after engineering school, got married, and worked for GE as a defense contractor and got myself into hunting.  Got laid off after a few years after losing a contract and I moved down to VA where we had our one and only daughter. She's 21 now and for the last 16 years I've lived in RI working for the Navy. I run a surface ship undersea warfare lab. Thanks to our wonderful elected officials, if these budget cuts kick in on March 1, I'll likely have an extra day off every week to hunt turkeys, then fish, then probably bowhunt for deer (furlough 1day/week for 22 weeks.) I've got my fingers crossed that they pull their heads out of their butts and stop playing chicken with our funding, but I'm not too hopeful. After all, we're just pawns. They're not losing any income over this.

paintbrush

Hi guys! I'm Bill and I live up in north central MN. I'm a painting contractor by trade and own my own small company with a couple of employees. Been slapping on paint for 33 years now. Married with 2 grown kids and 6 grandkids. I hunt deer, ducks and geese, ruffed grouse, and lots of pheasant, but spring turkey hunting really gets me going! I also do some ice fishing, but do lots of bass fishing in the summer time. I'll fish a bunch of bass tournaments all over MN.

WVohioFAN

Hi folks,

I'm a little late to the party but I'm here.  I was on Team Headhunters last year as well. My name is Wade and I live and hunt turkeys in West Virginia.  I'm a graduate of West Virginia University where I have degrees in Marketing and Management.  I'm single with no children. Actually, I'm married to turkey hunting and Bow hunting. This will be my 31st Spring season. I've killed the Wild Turkey Grand Slam and my favorite spot to hunt turkeys is Texas.  You can kill em down there with a Tennis Racket.....lol

I wish you all a safe and fun filled Spring season.

MOStrutter

My name is Nathan, and live in Southeast Iowa.  I am originally from Northeast Missouri and that is where I still consider home and do a majority of my hunting.  I have a Wildlife Ecology and Conservation degree from Northwest Missouri State University and work as a Wildlife Biologist.  I am not married but am by no means considered single.  My life pretty much revolves around hunting and bird migration, personally and professionally.  I mainly hunt waterfowl and turkeys, but still get out occasionally and do some deer hunting.  I love bow hunting since it adds another challenge to hunting.  Nice to meet everyone.

irishff727

Hey guys John here born and raised Florida boy of 30 years married to my wife for going on 6 years with a two and a half year old future hunter Patrick. I work in fire/ EMS currently working for a local hospital I worked for a few years on the west coast as a firefighter but the 3 hour drive killed me. So now I am trying to get picked up with a local dept. took a few years off of hunting but the itch came back hardcore hoping to getting first turkey this spring. I have worked a lil bit of everything meat cutter, business owner. Just joined this forum and I love it.