OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Getting Busted

Started by Hootowl, January 19, 2013, 09:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hootowl

The last couple times out last Spring I was busted, I called from the road, and never heard a Sound? But as I walked into the woods about 150 yards I busted 2 off the roost. I have that pressing on me this Spring? I went without Taking a Bird last Spring either. I used a Owl call, I may have to try another locater call? It happend to me twice in different places in the woods. I can never seem to locate where they Roost, or when I leave the woods at Dark the Night before, They Move in, So they are getting bumped during the Night by something? What tips can you help me with?

Hootowl.

dirt road ninja

Leave the owl call in the truck and let them wake up on their own. They will gobble when they are ready. Yes, it is possible they were bumped there in the night, but it wasn't from miles away. More than likely they were quietly roosting there the evening before. Two toms roosted together away from hens, is a great high percentage for a kill set up. I would bet you got a little impatient. Which is the savior of many a bird. I know it's cost me a few.

Xcal1ber

I agree 100% with letting them wake up on their own and that would be my first choice. But I will tell you when I can't get them to gobble, what usually works for me is a gobbler shaker. Now I wouldn't advise using this on public land, but it will make them gobble a lot of times when nothing else will.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.