OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

ShadeTree Callers " Stepside Longbox " Turkey Call !

Started by shadetree callers, January 04, 2013, 01:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadetree callers

After a couple years of experimenting with longbox designs , I have built the call that I have always wanted . These new longboxes will achieve all the sounds I am looking for in a turkey call. They will kee kee , cluck , purr, yelp, cackle and gobble with a tone that sounds like a real turkey to my ears .
This parquet call was made as my end of a trade with Scott Basehore , legendary callmaker. The feedback from Scott is incredible and he uses the word "tremendous" to describe the sounds of the new caller. Scott has been a big influence on my callmaking and his support is what keeps me building calls for competition. He called me after getting his call and said he came up with a name for the calls . Scott said they remind him of a song by classic rockers ,Queen . "You gotta call them Fat-Bottomed Girls  !"  I like it !
This caller is made from yellow poplar , walnut, box elder burl and has a maple lid on her. The #1 stepside caller was purchased by Mr. Gene Goodwin , former National President of the NWTF. His collection contains more than 1,000 calls and he tells me this is the best sounding longbox he has ever run .
I have only released a few of these calls to collectors and hunters and the feedback has been 100% positive . I am now taking orders for the new call and will not be making anymore in my original style. If you are interested , please send me a message or call me . Thanks for looking !
Bob

savduck

Bob, that is outstanding work my friend.

We need to get a sound file up for that baby.
Georgia Boy

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: savduck on January 04, 2013, 02:01:44 PM

That is a beauty, and yes, we need a sound file so we all can hear it.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

shadetree callers

Quote from: savduck on January 04, 2013, 02:01:44 PM

Thanks guys ! Del, I agree . Lets figure out how to get this ol redneck a soundfile ! :happy0064:

misfire

Beautiful box, if it sounds half as good as it looks, thats a winner
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

VanHelden Game Calls

Very, very nice!    :z-winnersmiley:

I have been wondering about working the outside of a call similar to this.  Until you the only other person I have heard doing something similar to this was Watkins.

Cool...

shadetree callers

Quote from: VanHelden Game Calls on January 05, 2013, 10:47:32 AM
Very, very nice!    :z-winnersmiley:

I have been wondering about working the outside of a call similar to this.  Until you the only other person I have heard doing something similar to this was Watkins.

Cool...
Nothing similiar to Marlins calls in this design  .

VanHelden Game Calls

Did not mean similar in design, just in concept of working the exterior for better tone.  Seems both methods create a hinge near the bottom of the sound board.

shadetree callers

Thanks Van Helden . I wanted to improve my sound and playability . The wide bottom gives me a stronger foundation on which to build the sound . Note the extremely short soundboards on this caller . That also helps the call . Thanks for all the great comments guys !!!

The Cohutta Strutter

Anybody seen America lately?