turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Taking the Daughter

Started by jshively, March 02, 2011, 03:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jshively

I have been taking my daughter (age 10) to the woods the past two years and have been teaching her how to shot a .22 and 20 gauge at the local IWLA.  She now wants to be a hunter like her dad and grandpa - and she wants to start with the Virginia Youth Turkey hunt on April 2nd.

I'll admit up front that I am an average turkey hunter at best.  I hunt turkeys at Quantico Marine Corp base - which has a healthy population of highly educated birds - scholars IMHO.  I have a blind to use but have not actually hunted turkeys with it myself.  Mobility will be limited - she is capable of walking a bit - but the shorter the walk the better.  I will be handicapped by not knowing which area she will be hunting until the day before - but feel confident that we can get on a bird to work.

Now - the question.  What advice would you give that would help make this as enjoyable a hunt as possible.  Our expectations are if we hear a bird - great.  If we see a bird - fantastic.  If she kills a bird - icing on the cake.  I just want her to have an experience that will keep her coming back.

Oh - and I should add that I am more excited about this hunt than I have been since I was a kid myself.

shootumindaface

Get her a push button or box and have her start practicing, let her be part of the fun

Basser69

I use a dbl tent chair when I am hunting with the kids. It is a little more portable than the full blown blind. I can break it down and bag it up in less than 4 or 5 minutes. With it on one sholder and a gun on the other, you can still walk a ways with out killing yourself.

bbcoach

Check into the Ameristep 2 man Chair Blind.  It would be perfect for you and your daughter.  It has a chair, like a loveseat, and you sit down in it and pull the blind over your head.  A friend of mine used mine last year during Youth day and his son killed a 19 pounder in it 30 minutes after sun up.

Don't worry about the Kill, that will come.  Be glad that she wants to spend time with you, in the woods.  As she gets older that time will dwindle.  ENJOY THE MOMENTS!!!!!!!

guesswho

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 02, 2011, 03:47:39 PM
Get her a push button or box and have her start practicing, let her be part of the fun
I agree 100% :icon_thumright:.  The kill, especially at this point in the game would be way down the list of importance.  Get her involved and let her be part of the decision making.   Explain to her whats going on when he gobbles, goes silent, hen's start acting up ect. ect.  Good luck and good job getting her out there.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TauntoHawk

couldnt agree me, when i was 13 my dad bought me an aluminum slate style call and I still remember like it was yesterday the first gobbles I got in response to my own calls.. never even saw the birds as they worked the other way but they gobbled the whole way at me at it made the whole hunt getting to be the caller.

nothing like the first time you strike up a gobble, thats why I have my wife practicing with my calls so even if she doesnt get one this year she can have some fun and participate.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

hookedspur

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 02, 2011, 03:47:39 PM
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

northwoodshntr

My Daughter (13) loves working my push-button call and a few of my slates too. Likes to watch the turkey hunting videos too. Acts like I'm killing' her when I ask her if she's going in the woods with me this year. ??? She's girly but she used to be daddy's girl. Any suggestions?

jshively, The March or april issue of Turkey&Turkey hunting has an excellent article on taking kids hunting I'd use all the tips in it.....If I could get my daughter in the truck.

hd mike

Letting her use the call (while teaching her how to call) help keeps the kids interested.
Try to set up on a field edge, or opening in the woods. You both can see farther, and any wildlife viewing is exciting. Especially when the bird comes to your setup from a distance.

keyser12ga

Make sure she goes to the bathroom before you get there. First time I took my daughter hunting, she had to go 15 min's after getting in the woods and she wasn't going over a tree.

Shotgun

Personally Im not much on blinds, what I would suggest with a 10 yr old girl is to just sit her in your lap.  This way can you can somehwhat control the movement.  Make sure to spray her down with deet and carry a thermacell.

Like others have said the main goal should be to make it fun.  The kill is just a bonus. 

whiskey

I have been taking my daughter hunting since she was 5, but she just started turkey hunting with me last year. She is 12 now. I sat her up against a tree and she did great. She didn't get a turkey, but we had lots of hens close and a few gobblers very close, just always had the curse of something not right. She did get a shot at a spooked jake, but shot over his head. She is stoked about going this year.

mrlongbeard

I have been taking both my daughters since they were 12 . youngest is the turkey killer.started out with the double bull blind, she is now 15 and killed a jake and 2 longbeards. Last years double bearded bird won all the youth contests in my area, her pic is on my profile. All you need to do is try to keep it interesting to them ,and hope they love it like you do.

Florida Marine

Quote from: jshively on March 02, 2011, 03:24:31 PM
I have been taking my daughter (age 10) to the woods the past two years and have been teaching her how to shot a .22 and 20 gauge at the local IWLA.  She now wants to be a hunter like her dad and grandpa - and she wants to start with the Virginia Youth Turkey hunt on April 2nd.

I'll admit up front that I am an average turkey hunter at best.  I hunt turkeys at Quantico Marine Corp base - which has a healthy population of highly educated birds - scholars IMHO.  I have a blind to use but have not actually hunted turkeys with it myself.  Mobility will be limited - she is capable of walking a bit - but the shorter the walk the better.  I will be handicapped by not knowing which area she will be hunting until the day before - but feel confident that we can get on a bird to work.

Now - the question.  What advice would you give that would help make this as enjoyable a hunt as possible.  Our expectations are if we hear a bird - great.  If we see a bird - fantastic.  If she kills a bird - icing on the cake.  I just want her to have an experience that will keep her coming back.

Oh - and I should add that I am more excited about this hunt than I have been since I was a kid myself.

Wow, it's like I am reading my own words...  I am Marine stationed at Quantico, took my Daughter and my Son to IWLA last weekend to shoot the .22's, .410 and 20 Ga also.

We are going out youth day, I have a wounded warrior I hunted with last year taking my daughter and I am taking my son.  Have not chosen a TA yet - but they are gobbling.  I was doing some scouting Friday in the 7's, 9's and 10's and they are hitting a crow call like its cool.

We are going to a JAKES even out in Luray this weekend that my son and I attended last year, great for the kids.

I intend to call for my kids, but will let them hammer out a few yelps (I make my own calls, so it should be pretty cool for them to use my calls).

PM me maybe we can link up.  I do as much as I can with the Wounded Warriors, its a treat to hunt with them.  Got to call in a bird for one last year and got him a job at my command to top it off.

Sean
Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man.

-Ronald Reagan