turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which broadhead will you use this year?

Started by StreetHowitzer, February 07, 2011, 03:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StreetHowitzer

I will be using the RFA Phoenix, Slick Trick Magnum and I have one Rock Mtn. Snyper left. Not sure if I will try one of the head lopper types or not. Anyone have a suggestion or comment?
~Anthony

EMSDJ2

2 Blade rage for fall season the same time I'm deer hunting.

clarksvalley

i`ve had good luck with a 100 grain grimm reaper.

PANYHunter

I'm gonna be using a 2 blade Rage.  I'm also thinking of putting some of the Cabela's Adder Points behind them to cut down on penetration.  Anybody else use them?

headshot870

Magnus Bullheads & Stingers with the trad bow.
Turkey Tomahawk's with the compound.

headbanger

Simmons Treesharks with the longbow or recurve. Fly good and cut WIDE  :happy0064:

keyser12ga

Fox Fire

I'm old school, mostly shoot a fixed cut on contact 2 blade set up, the last I bought was the Magnus, I loved the old carbon steel bear razor heads, they always sharped up and flew great.

Last couple of years I've been eyeball'n the mechanical heads, maybe I'm evolving away from my caveman mentality.

Ack

I'll be sticking with my Rage 2 blades again this year, and also still trying to get a shot with the Bullheads.

Nature's Echo Calls ProStaff

VAHUNTER

i shot WASP fixed blades for years. but i think i'm trying slick tricks this fall
Good things come to those who wait

knightrider

blueribbon

Something mechanical for sure may try the Rage. I have talked to guys who have used the adder points to slow down the penetration with good look I may just try that combo of Rage and adder points my self.

PANYHunter

Quote from: blueribbon on February 10, 2011, 08:57:13 AM
Something mechanical for sure may try the Rage. I have talked to guys who have used the adder points to slow down the penetration with good look I may just try that combo of Rage and adder points my self.
Thats what i was thinking.  The way i look at it with a turkey you dont want a complete pass through.  By leaving the arrow in the bird it will help immobilize it better and make recovery easier.  The last thing you want is a bird taking flight before it dies and going a couple hundred yards.  You guys with more experience bowhunting them correct me if I'm wrong.

StreetHowitzer

Quote from: Fox Fire on February 08, 2011, 10:17:43 PM
I'm old school, mostly shoot a fixed cut on contact 2 blade set up, the last I bought was the Magnus, I loved the old carbon steel bear razor heads, they always sharped up and flew great.

Last couple of years I've been eyeball'n the mechanical heads, maybe I'm evolving away from my caveman mentality.

You should take a look at the Red Feather Archery broadheads. I have the Phoenix 100 grain and they fly with field points. They are single beveled to produce a better wound channel.
http://www.redfeatherarcheryonline.com/
~Anthony

Ack

Even with a large cut mechanical head the last thing you want to do is slow it down. Let that head do it's job and get through the bird. To me it's about how much damage you can do with your shot, and you have to remember that those tough feathers and bones are already taking a toll on your arrow's momentum on impact. As long as you hit vitals, spine or hips you will put the bird down. Use whatever broadhead you are confident in, but my recommendation is to use the largest cut mechanical you can get your hands on.....remember, those kill zones are small.

Nature's Echo Calls ProStaff