OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Knight Muzzleloader Help

Started by Spellnj3, August 26, 2012, 01:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spellnj3

I have a hand me down (from my older brother) Knight MK93, the first inline muzzleloader that knight made.  I have since bought a tc triumph.  Myself and my brother have always had trouble with consistant groups with this gun at 50 yards.   

Does anyone have one of these guns and can you recommend a load combination that works for you?  If my son passes his safety test this year he will be carrying this gun in the woods and I want to try and get a more consistant ammo for him.
Thanks
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

redarrow

2 Triple 7 50 gr.pellets and a Barnes bullet. Scrub between shots.

hookedspur

Quote from: redarrow on August 26, 2012, 06:02:37 PM
2 Triple 7 50 gr.pellets and a Barnes bullet. Scrub between shots.

I use this bullet as well (Barnes 250MZ) and it is super accurate mine.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Deputy 14

Biggest thing I can tell you about them is use a reduced powder charge and a lighter bullet. Very few 'loaders will shoot good with more than 100 gr of powder.

redarrow

Quote from: Deputy 14 on August 26, 2012, 07:54:47 PM
Biggest thing I can tell you about them is use a reduced powder charge and a lighter bullet. Very few 'loaders will shoot good with more than 100 gr of powder.
I couldn't do a thing with mine till I went down to 2 pellets. 3 just threw bullets all over.

drenalinld

I am a little confused. I thought the original was MK-85 and the cheaper version was the LK-93 aka Wolverine?

My Wolverine is only rated for 120 gr equivalent black powder charge. With musket caps, 4 - 30 grain pyrodex pellets, or 110 gr of pyrodex powder, and cheap 250 gr sabots it is more accurate than most center fire rifles at 100 yards.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: drenalinld on August 26, 2012, 09:39:28 PM
I am a little confused. I thought the original was MK-85 and the cheaper version was the LK-93 aka Wolverine?

My Wolverine is only rated for 120 gr equivalent black powder charge. With musket caps, 4 - 30 grain pyrodex pellets, or 110 gr of pyrodex powder, and cheap 250 gr sabots it is more accurate than most center fire rifles at 100 yards.

Correct. Ive had em all. Mk-85 stalker, predator (gray laminate), grizzly (brown laminate).  All were awesome shooters. My friend has a wolverine and it is crazy accurate. My most accurate load was 240 grain QT (prbullet.com) and 90 grains of fffg triple seven. Same powder charge with 350 white powerstars was deadly to and knocked em off there feet. These were all 45 cals except my buddies 50 and he was shooting 320 grain powerstars also with 90 grains of fffg triple 7.

Before triple seven came along we shot pyrodex p powder and it was accurate as well just stinky and dirty :). Hes now shooting the blackhorn 209 in a knight disc extreme and I had a smokeless custom built. I would shoot the blackhorn powder now if I still shot knight but depending on your breech plug you may have to upgrade it to get it to fire and you have to use a tight fitting sabot/bullet also shotshell 209 primers.

drenalinld

More recently, I have shot 90 gr of FFFg triple 7 and it is also very accurate. The key for me was switching to percussion caps and buying the more expensive german made ones. They are much more consistent than 209 shotgun primers. I consistently shoot five shot groups off of a bench less than 1-1/2" ctc with that Wolverine and several under 1". At fifty yards groups are ragged holes.

TrackeySauresRex

I have a Knight but its not MK93. One thing my Knight doesn't like is powerbelts. It does not group well with them at all.
My recipe, 2. 50/50 pyrodex and 240gr mag sabot's. Shoots real good. Also the Hornady 250s shoot real well. I think my barrel likes a real tight seal,that's why the powerpelts don't do well for me.
:anim_25:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

frank1969

xtp 44 cal  with 90 gr 777 u gona like it

Spellnj3

Thanks for all the help guys!!!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr