OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Setting up a 20 ga smoothbore for deer.......

Started by chatterbox, August 26, 2012, 07:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

Hey guys!
Harrison and I have been invited by my wife's cousin to hunt on thier property in SE NH.
Now, the problem is, this is shotgun only. I need to set up H's 20 ga. turkey gun to shoot slugs. Now I have been told the best choke to use is improved cylindar for rifled slugs.
Does anyone have any experience with any certain slug over another? I have never set up a shotgun to shoot slugs, so any help would be greatly appriciated!
Gun is a Mossberg 510 youth gun.

Wingbone

I used to shoot rifled slugs out of my 20 ga. o/u and it did great out to 75 yards. It had fixed chokes in imp. and mod. , though. I'd think your imp. cyl. would do just fine.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

Hognutz

The first thing I would do, is to put some sort of sights on it. The more open the choke, the better. i.e. cyl./imp. cyl. Slugs have come a long way, but you need to have sights in order to make it happen on a consistant basis. IMHO.. Good luck, brother...Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

FANMAN

We are slug only in Illinois also,I've set up many different guns for slugs over the years.Most slug barrels are cyl. bore,If they make a slug barrel for it ,I would get one.That would take care of the sights issue.If not....imp.cyl. will be O.K. but adding sights would be a great help.If you go with a front bead only,your accuracy/ range will be greatly diminished.As for slugs/smothbore=Winchester rifled slugs would be my choice.A rifled slug barrel/Many great choices.you just gotta see what shoots best from Harrison's gun.There will be a big difference between slugs.
Good luck and have fun. Mike

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

chatterbox

Thanks for the responses guys! :icon_thumright:
His turkey gun has a red dot bushnell sight on it already. I know we will have to resight in this spring, but I'm ok with that. This is too good an oppurtunity to pass up.
I guess I'll just pick up a couple different boxes of slugs, and go to town!

lightsoutcalls

Check these out:

Brenneke Green Lightning

I haven't tried them, but will would love to try them in my .12 gauge sometime.  I have read some good reviews on them.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

R AJ

Brenneke are a good choice but do not stop before trying the Federal Truball in your smooth bore with imp cylinder. They outperform my Remington Buckhammer in a rifled barrel.