OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Goals for Next Season.

Started by davisd9, August 24, 2012, 09:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

I know that we have 219 days, 20 hours, and around 50 minutes until April 1, 2013 6:00 am, but every year I set a few goals for myself to see if I can accomplish.

This past season I accomplished a good many of my goals for last year and for my hunting career. I am still pretty new to turkey hunting, this year was my 7th season chasing Mr. Tom, so I still have some goals that the more experienced hunters have done time and time again.

The goals that I accomplished last year for my turkey hunting career was kill a bird in another state (Ms, thanks to my good buddy dirt road ninja), kill a bird with 1.25" spurs, and kill a bird with one of the fellows that have been a great help to my turkey hunting career (deacon, CJ Stahly, and almost got one with 2ounce6s, will hope to get that one next season )

The goals I accomplished for the season were kill a bird with a mouth call (worked all last season learning the mouth call and thanks to 2ounce6s I was able to kill 2 of the 5 Toms with a mouth call), kill a bird on opening morning (Did that with my good buddy CJ Stahly), kill only Toms (no jakes), kill more that two birds, make a bird strutt, spit and drum coming in (my opening morning bird), and give the Lord all the thanks for his blessings.

My goals for this year are:
- Kill a bird with my TRCall Maker Box Call.
- Kill a bird with 2ounce6s.
- Limit out in SC (had more than one chance to check this goal off this year but the mojo was not there.)
- Kill a bird with 1.5" spurs (this one may not happen but I like to have one of those far out goals)
- Kill a different subspecies. (Trying to go to Fla.)
- Hunt with more friends.
- Get my nephew and little cousin on a bird and hopefully harvest it.
- Give God the Glory and thank him for everytime I get out there with the creature I love more than any other.

Man I cannot wait to hear Tom sing out his hypnotizing love song at first sun next April 1!

Do you make goals and if so, what are a few of them?
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

870FaceLift

I have two main goals for next season:

1) I'd really like to harvest a bird using just a box call (and shotgun, of course).  All the toms I have taken have been with diaphragms. 

2) Introduce someone new to turkey hunting.  I try to do every this every year. I'm no expert, but you don't have to always kill a bird to have a great hunt with someone new.  Though, it does help  ;D
Pass it on...

lightsoutcalls

I've got deer season and feral hogs on the mind right now. 

I do hope to hunt with a friend in OK for rios, another friend in KS for Easterns and maybe run on up with him to Nebraska for a Merriams hunt. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

redarrow

Goal number one for me : Outsmart them stinking hens at the farm that stole my gobbler from me at least 6 different times. He was perhaps the finest gobbler I have ever seen.Never have I had a bird gobble so many times.Everyday,same scenario. I called ,he gobbled.Hens ran in and took him away.I would rather call than ambush but I may have to consider that. Still it was the most exciting hunt I have ever been on. Maybe this fall I can remove at least one of them hussies.

Sand Man

My goal this season was going to be to try for the slam, but it seems our Osceola hunt is self emploding!

If that falls thru, my main 3 goals will be:
1) Kill my first merriam
2) Help my buddy get his son his first bird
3) Hunt more with my dad

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Eric Gregg

1. Find a better place to hunt
2. Kill my first turkey
3. head to Kansas for a hunt

guesswho

1. Kill a turkey
2. Surpass an upcoming milestone as far as numbers go.
3. Fill my bucket

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Skeeterbait

My goal is just to have time to spend in the woods.  What happens happens and I will enjoy it however it comes.

Wingbone

1. Go back to hunt with my buddy in Florida.

2. Kill a set a spurs over 1.5"(just can't seem to find one)

3. Make it through another season safely.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

goblr77

My goal is the same every season. Limit out in GA and FL.

WildTigerTrout

I have several goals. 1. To help my son bag his first gobbler. 2. Kill a gobbler with my muzzleloader shotgun. 3. Bag a gobbler with a 20 ga. 4. Spend as much time as possible hunting gobblers with my son and enjoying our time in the great outdoors of Pennsylvania.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

CASH

Kill turkeys

Not get shot (almost got shot this year)

Be more patient (my worst virtue that has cost me turkeys)

Not get shot

Not get shot
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Eric Gregg

Quote from: CASH on August 24, 2012, 05:28:48 PM
Kill turkeys

Not get shot (almost got shot this year)

Be more patient (my worst virtue that has cost me turkeys)

Not get shot

Not get shot

There was a line in either Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan where they told someone "And don't go do something stupid like getting yourself killed' :newmascot:

slamman

Pray my 84 year old dad who has Parkinson's stays healthy long enough to take him on his last hunt (most probably last hunt of any kind) for Osceola.  Then after that it won't really matter because my season will be complete, but I'll hunt Merriam's in Arizona, New Mexico and if any time left I will hunt a bird in California.  

barry

First and foremost I just hope to be able to go, 18 years in a wheelchair has taken it's toll.

2nd, witness the splendor of the early morning sun reflecting off of a struttin' gobbler as he works his way into gun range.

3rd, call in a bird with a trumpet. In all my 35 years of turkey huntin' I've only killed birds using either my natural voice or a tube call.

4th, take my old 2 3/4 Rem 1100 on another hunt, haven't used it in 10 years or more

5th, maybe try to take another with my crossbow