turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shooter or Not? Plus an Oddball.

Started by Deputy 14, August 19, 2012, 09:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deputy 14

How old do you think this deer is, also, do you think he is mature enough to be a shooter.  Comparing pics from last year he looks to have gained about 25 inches and that knot of a drop tine.  I'm guessing he is a 4/1/2 year old.  Also what do you think he would score.

Just thought this little guy was odd looking and figured I would share.

coyotetrpr

Hard to age a deer by pics. As for if he is a shooter, why don't you tell me the answer to that question when he is in range this season. Good luck and don't put too much imphasis on others opinions concerning deer quality.      P.S- Please excuse possible spelling errors.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

BOFF

Hard to tell, but I don't think he's 4 1/2. Velvet make the horns look a lot bigger as well.

Still, a great deer. A "shooter" is different things to different folks. Nothing wrong with shooting him, or not shooting him. Circumstances vary and are different for everyone.

God Bless,
David B.

gobbler336

i truly do not believe that deer is 4 1/2 his front shoulder looks awfully lean to me, and his nose is very sleek and pointed.  he has a nice rack no doubt, but he has not reached his potential if that is what you are asking, but if he walked by me he would get stuck.  i hunt for fun and could care less what others think about what i kill. 

i'm glad and hope and pray we never lower a turkey to these standards that some folks have set for deer.

captin_hook

For me he's a definite shooter! At this point in my life I really don't get much time to deer hunt so I've been shooting the first legal buck I see. As far a scoring him, I'm not sure , but I'd love to see him when his velvet drops. Regardless of score, he'd have a spot on my wall if he gave me the opportunity at a shot.

CASH

Quote from: BOFF on August 20, 2012, 12:00:37 AM

A "shooter" is different things to different folks. Nothing wrong with shooting him, or not shooting him. Circumstances vary and are different for everyone.

This.  After hunting for some years with friends that manage their place for mature bucks, I've learned from them and want to shoot a "Mature Trophy Buck".  But, having said that, my club follows state guidelines for bucks and if I like him, I'll shoot him simply because if I don't chances are somebody else will and he won't live anyway.

If he's a shooter to you then lay the smack down!
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Deputy 14

Quote from: gobbler336 on August 20, 2012, 12:07:40 AM
i'm glad and hope and pray we never lower a turkey to these standards that some folks have set for deer.

We have. Those standards are called Jakes.

redarrow

If i'm deer hunting ,I shoot deer. On my land he's a shooter. On others peoples land I obey their rules, no question asked.If your comfortable shootin him ,then do so. He is a very nice deer.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Looks 3.5 to me.

Honestly, if you've killed deer this big and are looking to have the opportunity to harvest 4.5 year olds, you have to pass him.  He's as old as he's gonna get if you kill him....

If you haven't killed deer this big, I would strongly suggest that you harvest him.

longbeard11

3 1/2 year old buck, definitely a good one with some great potential. Has a great frame and very good width, he will only get better as he matures to 4 1/2 and 5 1/2. For me he is DEFINITELY NOT a shooter, he is one of those bucks that shows great potential that you just have to pass up, especially with that drop tine developing thats a no brainer for me.  Hes a great buck no doubt, but wont score real high with the short tines and i would personally want him to live to his full potential because it may be awesome if he gets there!

Eric Gregg

Nice deer!
I would also recommend pulling the trigger on that last deer to get him on out of the way.

MOStrutter

This deer would be off limits on the land I hunt.  If this deer makes it through fall then he will be a good one.  He has great mass and that drop will only get bigger.  He should grow some tine length and could be an absolute stud in the making.  Plus this is a deer you would want breeding your does for at least another year.  You can't worry about what other hunters on other properties are going to do.  If they get him then thats just part of the game.  Good luck to you and post more pictures of this guy when he sheds that velvet.

barry

He's a good 3 1/2 from what I can see but who knows?
Shoot or not shoot? 1 question...
Would you be proud to take him?

jblackburn

Quote from: Deputy 14 on August 20, 2012, 09:09:42 AM
Quote from: gobbler336 on August 20, 2012, 12:07:40 AM

We have. Those standards are called Jakes.

Jakes taste good, too . . . :funnyturkey:
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.