OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Spooky experiences turkey huntin........

Started by Hooksfan, July 31, 2012, 09:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

Quote from: CASH on August 10, 2012, 10:36:16 PM
Well my spooky story literally just happened.  I was engrossed in Hooksfans sasquatch story and didn't hear my wife open the door to my man cave.  All I heard was "G'night" and I just about wet myself and bolted out of my lazy boy

:TooFunny:
:TooFunny:  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

sworntofun

We were not turkey hunting but once me dad and my cousin were hunting up on Choccolocco wma here in AL we got there alittle early about 3 hours before daylight so we just parked and waited for daylight my cousin started seeing lights going on and off in the woods at first we just said it was a flashlight but they just moved funny like they were dancing in the woods they would come close to the road then go back in to were you could barely see them well we all agreed to drive down past them and go in the other side after the hunt on way out we stoped to look at area were we had seen the lights it was just cleared pines .

Crawdad

Man, I really didn't want to get into this because the story is to long & most people won't believe it anyway. After coming home from working in Alaska for several years, I rejoined an old deer camp I had been a member of in the past. Every year the members are assigned stand that they are responsible for to keep maintained for the coming season. The camp was about 20 miles south of Pine Bluff Ark, my brother & I lived in Greenbrier Ark a distance of about 100 miles, which made it impossible to run down in the eve's. So we decided to go down on a Fri eve & spin the night & get up early and squirrel hunt before repairing stands. We had both just bought ourself's new three wheelers ( no four wheelers made then). The club house was an old school house that had been cut in half & moved it place & set up on blocks with a space of about 12 feet left in between & closed in for the kitchen. The main entrance was there at the kitchen with double doors. The door knobs were removed & we had a big log chain running through the holes where the knobs had been & a lock on the chain. That first night, we decided to go to town to eat, before we left, we put our new three wheelers behind the out house so they couldn't be seen from the county road. After we got back we stoked up the wood stove & went to bed. Before we went to bed, my brother went over to put the chain through the door, I said, What are you doing? he said, I'm locking this door, I said, no your not, What if one of the members comes down, they will rib us for having the door locked. He said, well I'm not going to lock it, I'll just put the chain on & hang the lock on it. ( boy am I glad he did) The bedroom was about 30x40ft, kitchen in between & then the dining room about 30x40ft, double doors in front, single door in back & then, on the far end was a porch with our meat saw & extra fire wood & one single door there.

Crawdad

My brother was on one side of the room & I was on the other. We had probably been in bed about one hour, me thinking my brother was asleep & him thinking I was. Then we heard it, something was pulling very slowly on the chain. You could hear every length of that chain going through those knob holes. Then it reached the lock & stopped. We both heard it, but we also though the other was asleep. Then this thing started around the building, first passing the side my brother was on, then on my side, we could hear it as it moved about & it had the most guttural growl I had ever heard. About that time, my brother whispered loudly ROBERT!, I said WHAT! He said something's trying to get in here, I said I know it. he comes running over to my side & said man I'm glad you were awake to hear it too. Understand, no one in there right mine would tried to scare us, knowing we surely had guns in there with us & smoke coming out of the chimney. We could tell what ever it was, was walking on two legs & now it was trying to get in the back door. Guy's I'm only half done with this story, if that. I hate to type, will it be alright if I finish this tomorrow?

Jay

Crawdad

I have too, I'm 72 years old & can't type worth a crap, that took me about two hours.

FANMAN

Talk about a cliffhanger.......I'll check back in tommorrow Crawdad.

tomstopper

My story took place in PA during spring gobbler season when I was 13. I had just got permission to hunt this farmers land down the road from my grandmothers and was used to hearing stories from my grandpa and his friends about having mountain lions in the area. Some people say that they are not in PA & NY but their are to many stories out there for them all to be just "stories". Anyway I had all of those stories in the back of my head that morning when I made my way across the cut in the middle of a corn field that was about 300yds long. Just hearing the corn rustling and thinking that at any moment something was going to jump out of the corn and grab me was spooky enough but I managed to stay on task and made it to the woods and up on the ridge. Turkeys started to gobble about 60yds on the opposite ridge just like the farmer had told me they would. I let all the fear leave me after hearing this and knowing that daylight was on the horizon. At about 7:30 I had been calling to this one gobbler since he flew out of the roost and had him coming in and was ready for him to come into view when all the sudden he just shut up. I went silent thinking he would break his silence first. Wrong. At about 8:00 i hadn't heard him for about 20min when i started to hear noise behind the tree i was sitting in. I thought it was him so at first i didn't move but after hearing it continue in my direction curiosity got the best of me and I started to peek around the tree to see what it was. I about pissed my pants. Less than 20 yds to my rear and moving at an angle was the biggest cat I have ever seen. It was orange-ish color and had a huge black tip at the end of its tail. I clicked the safety off my 12gauge and started to yell at it (truth be known I was probably screaming like a school girl). I immediately fired all my shells into the dirt knowing that the farmer would be up to pick me up when he heard them. This is when I realized that if the cat came back I had only my knife for protection. When the farmer appeared I ran to the 3 wheeler and was never so happy to leave the woods. To this day I always think of this when entering the woods. Some people still think I am making it up to this day but the farmer that picked me up that day believed me and said that he has never seen a 13yr old boy shake so badly in his life. Just writing this has given me goose bumps.

Crawdad

After that thing tried to get in the back door, it then went all the way down to the far end of the building  & as far away as we were, we could hear it come up the steps, it didn't stomp it's feet or nothing, but we could hear it as if it was something heavy. We could hear a faint sound as if it were saying Whoooop Whooop, Whooop Whooop, My brother got really scared & said, I'm going to make a break for it, I said what do you mean? He said I'm heading for the truck. I said your crazy, that thing is out there & were in here & you want to go out there where it is???? I said anything that comes in here has to come through that bedroom door & we can see it coming ( we both had our shotguns pointed at the door) Well after about another half hour of that, he couldn't take it anymore. There was an outside light, but we couldn't find the switch for it. So we go to the door & he Say's run to the truck & I'll cover you. lol. well I ran to the truck, started it, turned on the lights, he gets in & we drove around to the outhouse to load our three wheelers. I load mine pretty quick & wondered what was keeping him. got my flashlight & went around the outhouse & there he was trying to get his started. He couldn't find the shift lever, I looked down with my light & something had drove that lever completely up under  the transmission. We had to get a steel pry bar to get it out far enough for him to be able to shift it. Well, we went into Pine Bluff & rented a room & came back the next morning, we found the biggest set of tracks we had ever seen & had never seen anything like, kinda like a man's track about a size 25 & a triple f. on the far end of the building & up on the deck, we found some bloody looking slimmy stuff & noticed a terrable smell. Well we spent the day fixing our stands & went home. Two day's before the season opened, we started down there to hunt. I told my brother, don't you mention a word about that or they will never let us live it down & well catch heck from now on. Well we weren't there a day before he blurted it out & man did we ever catch it from the old country boys that lived down there, you all know what I'm talking about (the old tough guys) really let us have it. Well about midway through the week, some of the tough guys from another camp which our tough guys knew came over to see if any of there dogs had been picked up by  our dog drivers, just so happend we had some of there dogs. Setting around that night, our tough guys started telling the guys from the other camp, about some of there bravest hunters & told the story about us. I noticed the other guys weren't laughing, after he finished, one of the other guys said they had a problem similar & a couple of his hunters had seen this thing & one of the guys that saw it was right there with us. He said it looked to be about 7 1/2 - 8 foot tall & stood out in the wood & made a sound like Whooop Whooop. He said they began to call it the Whoooop Whoooop monster. Well you should have seen the faces of our tough guys then, they even began to be afraid to even hunt any more. Boy it sure was nice to get even. Hope you weren't let down by the ending.

Crawdad

Oh, i forgot to tell you, that was not the last of our encounters with that thing, they got worse, but I'm going to stop here or i'm going to have to take typing lessons.

ncturkey

You need to carry more than three shels. Plus I would have shot the cat and would not have had to worry with him coming back.
Quote from: tomstopper on August 15, 2012, 07:19:43 AM
My story took place in PA during spring gobbler season when I was 13. I had just got permission to hunt this farmers land down the road from my grandmothers and was used to hearing stories from my grandpa and his friends about having mountain lions in the area. Some people say that they are not in PA & NY but their are to many stories out there for them all to be just "stories". Anyway I had all of those stories in the back of my head that morning when I made my way across the cut in the middle of a corn field that was about 300yds long. Just hearing the corn rustling and thinking that at any moment something was going to jump out of the corn and grab me was spooky enough but I managed to stay on task and made it to the woods and up on the ridge. Turkeys started to gobble about 60yds on the opposite ridge just like the farmer had told me they would. I let all the fear leave me after hearing this and knowing that daylight was on the horizon. At about 7:30 I had been calling to this one gobbler since he flew out of the roost and had him coming in and was ready for him to come into view when all the sudden he just shut up. I went silent thinking he would break his silence first. Wrong. At about 8:00 i hadn't heard him for about 20min when i started to hear noise behind the tree i was sitting in. I thought it was him so at first i didn't move but after hearing it continue in my direction curiosity got the best of me and I started to peek around the tree to see what it was. I about pissed my pants. Less than 20 yds to my rear and moving at an angle was the biggest cat I have ever seen. It was orange-ish color and had a huge black tip at the end of its tail. I clicked the safety off my 12gauge and started to yell at it (truth be known I was probably screaming like a school girl). I immediately fired all my shells into the dirt knowing that the farmer would be up to pick me up when he heard them. This is when I realized that if the cat came back I had only my knife for protection. When the farmer appeared I ran to the 3 wheeler and was never so happy to leave the woods. To this day I always think of this when entering the woods. Some people still think I am making it up to this day but the farmer that picked me up that day believed me and said that he has never seen a 13yr old boy shake so badly in his life. Just writing this has given me goose bumps.

renegade19

Great story Crawdad.  Thanks for sharing it.

ncturkey

Great scary story.
Quote from: Crawdad on August 15, 2012, 06:09:19 PM
Oh, i forgot to tell you, that was not the last of our encounters with that thing, they got worse, but I'm going to stop here or i'm going to have to take typing lessons.

FANMAN

Quote from: ncturkey on August 15, 2012, 06:50:12 PM
Great scary story.
Quote from: Crawdad on August 15, 2012, 06:09:19 PM
Squatch lives.

strutnva

When I was in my late teens, I deer hunted a farm across the road from my house.  To access the farm I had to drive down a long drieway that was close to a mile long.  I parked at their house and walked a long way up a pasture in a hollow and then up thru the woods to my stand. One morning while driving in, I passed a coon dog on their driveway.  I parked as usual and walked up the pasture in total darkness.  As I walked up thru the woods and got about a hundred yards from my stand I could hear something walking behind me like it was following me.  My heart rate and my pace toward my stand picked up as I could tell it was gaining ground on me.  As I got to my stand with only my small mag light, I got to about the third step up thr stand when it made it to the bottom of my tree.  Of course it was that #&@# dog, but I hadn't given it any thought that's what it might be.  I would be lying if I didn't say I was scared to death.  I couldn't get up that tree fast enough, it was a black and tan coon dog but all I could tell was that it was black at less than ten yards when I finally seen it.  Not a good day in the deer wood with only a bow.

Had another day bow hunting when 3 wild dogs got real aggressive in the daylight with only a bow to fend them off.  Another high heart rate day, but made it out ok.

Could be the reason I hate dogs today.