Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help patterning and chokes for 870 20 gauge? (New guy)

Started by deer-turkeyhunter, June 22, 2012, 05:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deer-turkeyhunter

Hello,

I am new to the 20 gauge idea.  I have purchased a 870 20 gauge.  I have taken it crow hunting and it is a blast to shoot.  It is also really light.  I have a few question which I am sure have been answered numerous time before but all the information is mind boggling.  So I will just ask again.  Thanks in advance for all the replies.
1.  What is the optimal pellet count for a shotgun for a shot from 20 yards to 40 or 45 yards.  I guess the question is how many pellets should be in the 10 in circle at 20 yards and how many in it at 40-45? I have read a wide range of pellet counts.

2.  Next I have started collecting choke tubes.  Now I have a Remington super full that says led only.  Can I shoot the Heavy 7's.  What would everybody recommend?

I also have a Mad turkey choke made by Indian creek.  I plan on getting a few more such as SSX and a Carlsons .555 turkey choke.  I am not sure about the Sumtoy?

3.  Also could somebody please explain all the different types of ammo.  I read a lot about the Heavy #7 and some 13.  I need all the help i can get. 

I am sure  I will have more questions in the future so please bare with me.

Thanks

deer-turkeyhunter

savduck

You have a proven 20 ga turkey killer that many on here use. Search enough topics and you will find plenty of info on questions asked. Many on here that shoot factory loads stick with number 7 s from either federal or Hevi shot. A lot of others hand load TSS 9s.

You will see a range from 120 up to reported 180 in 10 with factory loads number 7s. Most of the TSS guys are over 300. All guns shoot Different so the only real way to know is buy the shells, and chokes, and get to shooting. There are four or five chokes that are constantly producing 130 to 150 type patterns with 7s.

Thats the range I like for my twenty....devistating at 40, but with a good 20 spread in case you flinch.
Georgia Boy

R AJ

You want at least 100 or so in the 10 at 20 yards and 40 yards as that is sufficient to give adequate coverage for a kill. Hevi-13 and Fed HW #7s are my choice of HTL and Fed FC or pre FC in #6s is my choice in lead shells.
The Rem SF , TG GSE, TG SSX, are all very good chokes in my 870.
I have tried the IC 555 but never felt good about it or the Swarm  choke years ago. For hunting, especially under 30 yards a lot of the more expensive shells and chokes are more luxury items than necessity items.
For the ones wanting 35-40 yards go for the best you can afford just for the sake of confidence when called upon to make the long shots.

killdee

I think....the SF rem lead only can be used with the Hevi13 and HW federals just not steel, someone correct me if wrong.

The Federal HW has a flight control wad and some ported chokes dont shoot it well.
I have shot both hevi 13 and Fed HW in #7s with a rem sf hevi choke and both shot very well in my 870 20 with higher #s coming from the hevi13. I have ventured into loading the TSS and hope to shoot a couple tomorrow, then Monday I'm sending it to Sumtoy for some machine work, forcing cone,  drill and tap for FF site and a choke. I can then give you an idea of his choke after I get it back and shoot it again. William said the forcing cone may or may not improve the pattern, but would lesson recoil so I decided to go ahead with it since he is reasonable on the price and hope for a little pattern improvement also.

R AJ

Quote from: killdee on June 22, 2012, 10:29:43 PM
I think....the SF rem lead only can be used with the Hevi13 and HW federals just not steel, someone correct me if wrong.

The Federal HW has a flight control wad and some ported chokes dont shoot it well.
I have shot both hevi 13 and Fed HW in #7s with a rem sf hevi choke and both shot very well in my 870 20 with higher #s coming from the hevi13. I have ventured into loading the TSS and hope to shoot a couple tomorrow, then Monday I'm sending it to Sumtoy for some machine work, forcing cone,  drill and tap for FF site and a choke. I can then give you an idea of his choke after I get it back and shoot it again. William said the forcing cone may or may not improve the pattern, but would lesson recoil so I decided to go ahead with it since he is reasonable on the price and hope for a little pattern improvement also.

You are correct about the SF choke and I also get a better pattern using H-13#7s from it over Fed HW 7s. AS for the forcing cone and recoil, I have no problem with 20 ga. recoil and feel that lengthening the forcing cone would only be to help the pattern and for turkey hunting it is not worth it to me.
Let us know how the Sumtoy choke does for you.

killdee

Yeah, William said he only charges 35$ for the forcing cone and while I have no problem either with 20 gauge recoil, any reduction would be helpful for a youth hunter and thought others might benefit from that info. I did shoot it today for the first time with a TSS load and it has a bit more bite than either of the heavy factory loads I shoot so I wont mind  a reduction either. I'll report back after I get it back from Sumtoy and shoot it again, that TSS pattern today,......Wow..... unreal.....