OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Weatherby SA-08 / Mossberg SA-20 - What choke for TSS 9's?

Started by JUGHEAD, June 19, 2012, 02:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JUGHEAD

So, I'm thinking about buying one of the listed guns to make into a dedicated 20 turkey slayer.  However, I have no idea what route to go on chokes.  What choke system to these guns use?  Are there any good chokes on the market for use with TSS 9's?  Or, am I pretty much gonna have to get Sumtoy to build me a turkey choke?  I'm not against sending the whole thing to William and getting some barrel length cut off anyway and just getting him to build me a custom choke while he's at it, but I'm just trying to see what all the options are.  Thanks! 

savduck

I've got the weatherby sa08 with a sumtoy 562-5 shooting  fed 7 s. it's putting up 40 yard patterns mid 140 to 160 s. mine is a 28 inch barrell.   Williams 562- 3 is the choke he makes for Hevi shot and TSS. Ive got a couple of buddies that have the 562 -3 out of 20 ga 870 s and 20 ga encores.....I want to say they told me their  are over 300 in ten ring with the TSS 9 s.

Williams makes a good choke. Weatherby makes a good gun. Enjoyed mine this season. Oh..the weatherby takes the mossberg accuchoke/Winchoke.

I've got a pure gold tempest 570 and a truglo SSX for this gun too. The tempest even  though designed for the Feds actually shoots the Hevi 13s better. It puts up 110 type patterns at forty with the  fed 7s. I haven't patterned the tru glo yet. I also borrowed a 555 PG tempest, a ported 570 PG, and a 555 swarm. The sum toy out shot them all.
Georgia Boy

n2deer

JUGHEAD

Quote from: savduck on June 19, 2012, 06:11:19 PMOh..the weatherby takes the mossberg accuchoke/Winchoke.
Thanks for the info!  This little nugget is interesting.  Even though these are basically the same guns, there are obviously some differences.  Best I can tell from looking in the store, reading around the web, and looking at some pics online, the Mossberg SA 20 uses the Beretta/Benelli Mobilchoke system.

savduck

I'm not a big fan of mossbergs so I honestly don't know a lot about them. I researched the weatherby for almost a year before I bought it. The main selling point for me is they are designed on the beretta 390 gas system. Walmart has them every now and then. I handled one at Walmart and knew I had to get one.

When I got home....and broke it down....the internals are exactly like a beretta except the location on the cartridge drop lever and the gas valve. Even my beretta b square mount matched up. I got mine halfway through the season and shot three birds with it. I LOVE it. I hope more people discover this gun. 
Georgia Boy