News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

patterning question...

Started by mossyoakpro, June 02, 2012, 02:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossyoakpro

Ladies & Gents,

I am new to the patterning thing as far as density and numbers and such.... I normally just shoot before the season to insure that my POI is still good and my gun still functions properly.

With this new 20 gauge project I plan on doing the full "inside the 10" @ 40 yds patterning but I have no idea how to do it...Can someone explain the proper way to do this sort of patterning so that I can do it correctly.

Thanks in advance!!
Phillippians 4:13

Waddle Whacker

Nuttin' to it Mossy. Get yourself a big piece of paper, or cardboard, 30"x30" or so. I use "contractor's paper" from Home Depot or Lowe's which usually costs about $10 or so a roll. I do a good bit of patterning, and it lasts me quite a while. Measure off your 40 yd mark and fire away. I have a range at my house and have distances staked off so I'm not always measuring. After you shoot and retrieve your paper, find the core/densest part of your pattern. This is not necessarily where you were aiming, and for me it usually isn't. I've had to put sights on everything I've got.  Mark the center of what you find to be the densest part of the pattern. Just a small X or a dot will do. Then just draw yourself a 10" circle around your center point. A nail, a pencil, and a 5" piece of string will do. I use a piece of 10" plexiglass I purchased from eBay. It is ideal for that, although I can't take credit for the idea, came from another OG member. It works well because you can put it down on your pattern and move it around to cover the densest part without ever losing sight of those holes. Then you just count those little suckers. You can divide your circle into quadrants if you want, makes it less likely to lose count. Once you do all that, and actually know where the core of your pattern is, then you can adjust your sights for POI. The big piece of paper is critical. You might shoot an 8x11" turkey target and get a killing or decent pattern. Problem might be your paper isn't large enough to show you the big picture and the actual core of your pattern that may be missing the turkeys vitals. Your max range will be the distance at which the pellet count in 10" is 100. Good luck, hope that helps.

mossyoakpro

Thanks alot!!  I am really looking forward to getting some numbers from my new turkey killer!!

Thanks again!!

gobblergls

The steel frame of a real estate lawn sign makes a good frame to clip the Home Depot paper to.  Clothes pins or metal spring clips from an office supply store are what I use.

mossyoakpro

Quote from: gobblergls on June 03, 2012, 11:31:24 AM
The steel frame of a real estate lawn sign makes a good frame to clip the Home Depot paper to.  Clothes pins or metal spring clips from an office supply store are what I use.

I am in the real estate biz, so this will be easy to come by  :z-guntootsmiley:

Thanks!!

savduck

A cheaper option is to go to dollar store. You can get a roll of white present wrapping paper for 1 dollar. I usually get about 6 targets out of it.
Georgia Boy

Sand Man

I'm sure most don't have access to this, but I use 4'X4' cardboard that a buddy in the paper business gives me.   Apparently when they ship a pallet of paper they use the cardboard to seperate it during shipping.

I"ve used the paper, but it's a PIA in the wind or any wind for that matter.  They stiffness of the cardboard sure is nice if you can find it.

I just use two frames I made from rebar (stickment for dog training if you guys train retrievers), and clip the cardboard to the rebar with those big paper binders.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

BrowningGuy88

I think I will grap some of that card board! I hate to fight a 3 foot square of paper when the wind is blowing!