turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Scope on single shot ribbed barrel?

Started by USAFTurkey, June 01, 2012, 11:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USAFTurkey

I sent my 12 ga H&R in and had a 20 ga barrel put on.  All they will do is a ribbed barrel.  Can I put a red dot on without buying a universal cantilever scope mount?  Can I just tap the rib? Or should I just go with a good set of fiber optics?

mad815

USAFTurkey---    In the Gundecoy post you will see a photo of my NEF 20ga.   I did the same thing --  Original 12ga. sent back for a 20ga. that came thru with a rib on it.  To fit a 20ga tube on that 12 ga. receiver the outside of the 20ga tube diameter must be the same as a 12 ga.  ( This is what I could see that the factory did to mine-- I'm no gunsmith)  With the bore being 20 ga.   Thus the thickness of the walls of the tube is thicker than the average 20 ga. To me it's plenty+++ thick for a gunsmith to drill and tap for a scope mount.   I really doubt that the rib in any way is scope mountable- I do not think the rib on mine is metal.   I have a peep site on the rib now but maybe a Red Dot in the future.   P. S.     If when done, you stick a Tom's beard like I did with mine , it will turn that 20 into a Gundecoy and  will draw in Toms without even calling---- good luck---    Web

SumToy

We did on a few back.  We machined the rib off so the mount fit flat on barrel.  The mount then the rib starts at the end of the mount.  Looked good and worked fine with a regular scope .
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

mnbeardbuster

Nothing wrong with the universal mount.  You'll want to use a monte carlo stock.

USAFTurkey

Quote from: mnbeardbuster on June 04, 2012, 01:38:47 PM
Nothing wrong with the universal mount.  You'll want to use a monte carlo stock.
Nothing except they are hard to find.  Also, don't want to keep adding $$. I changed the barrel.  Don't really want to change the stocks. It's getting to the point that I could have just bought an encore.

SumToy

You do it like I am talking about you will not need to change anything.  It looked good also.   :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

USAFTurkey

Quote from: SumToy on June 05, 2012, 09:00:38 PM
You do it like I am talking about you will not need to change anything.  It looked good also.   :anim_25:
Interesting.  Sounds like a good idea.  I'll have to see if my local GS can do it.

Michigander

Several years ago I drilled and tapped the rib on my 870. I mounted a 2X Leopold pistol scope on it. It worked great, and I really liked that setup.