OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

If you had $600

Started by Skeeter41, May 23, 2012, 07:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrowningGuy88

My little 20 870 kicks as bad as any 30-06 I have ever shot. That is why I don't understand the ultralight trend here recently. A 6 lb 12 gauge with 3" much less 3.5" magnums would be too brutal to stand for me.

gobblergls

Quote from: Daman on May 29, 2012, 03:00:25 PM
My little 20 870 kicks as bad as any 30-06 I have ever shot. That is why I don't understand the ultralight trend here recently. A 6 lb 12 gauge with 3" much less 3.5" magnums would be too brutal to stand for me.
In my turkey hunting career I've carried 10 gauges weighing as much as 12+lbs loaded.  Now, weight is a consideration as I get older.
I don't pretend to be a tough guy about recoil.  I have shot 3" and 3.5" out of my 835 and SBE.  Both outweigh my Super Bantam 20 gauge by 2.25 lbs and 1.5 lbs. respectfully.  They aren't pleasant to shoot.  I shoot 1 5/8 oz. out of  my lightweight 20 gauge Super Bantam without noticing severe or heavy recoil which doesn't seem possible.  However, on the Super Bantam, I have stacked on top of the factory pad a slip on Uncle Mike's pad. I did this to create longer LOP, but lucked out with the added benefit of better recoil absorption.  I prefer this trick to the added weight of the Knoxx Spec Ops stock. Have you tried a Limbsaver pad on your 20 gauge?

BrowningGuy88

No I have not tried the Limbsaver. I am going to leave it completely as is - my wife says it is a pussycat to shoot. It just sends my thumb into my nose every time I pull the trigger. Now with the new Vinci, I won't be shooting the 870 much so I am going to leave it the way she likes it.

gobblergls

Quote from: Daman on May 29, 2012, 04:40:19 PM
No I have not tried the Limbsaver. I am going to leave it completely as is - my wife says it is a pussycat to shoot. It just sends my thumb into my nose every time I pull the trigger. Now with the new Vinci, I won't be shooting the 870 much so I am going to leave it the way she likes it.

Sounds like the LOP is too short for you.  Use a slip-on recoil pad over what is there already.  This will move your head back and nose out of the way unless your name is Pinocchio.  Limbsaver makes a slip-on pad, but an Uncle Mike's will do the trick nicely.  Slip it off when your wife shoots it.

Eric Gregg

My 20ga Youth is light as a feather and with turkey loads kicks like a mule.
I used to shoot a 30-06 for deer and it womps worse than the 06.
My REM Shur Shot stock has a descent recoil pad on it, but you still know you have shot turkey load when you pattern that bad boy.
That is another reason why I want the 11-87 is for the less recoil. That will be helpfull on the dove field.
That 20 is lite.

Sand Man

OH SNAP!  Slicky done hit you boys up with some math.

All I know is 4 out of 3 American don't understand math!!!!!!   :toothy9:

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

BrowningGuy88

What I am describing has nothing to do with recoil calculations. Cause Slicky's numbers are right. It all has to do with gun fit. Take a 300 mag that fits you well and it won't beat you up as bad as a poorly fitting 20 gauge.

My shoulder does not suffer the 20, it is my face that it hurts!

n2deer

The answer is perceived recoil.

When you shoot a gun that is a inch or two too short it tends to jump around a little more and smack things like faces.

Thanks slicky, I knew I was right. LOL

Eric Gregg

You know, come to think about it, really the part that gets the beating the most when i shoot is my check.  I wonder if i were to put a longer barrel on that gun if it would tame the recoil a bit by bringing more balance and weight........

Would that make sense?

dirt road ninja

Quote from: TeocTom on May 31, 2012, 02:11:58 PM
You know, come to think about it, really the part that gets the beating the most when i shoot is my check.  I wonder if i were to put a longer barrel on that gun if it would tame the recoil a bit by bringing more balance and weight........

Would that make sense?

Yep. I think it would jump less. Though I can't say for sure why, but I don't think the weight is the reason for the cheek slap.

n2deer

Quote from: TeocTom on May 31, 2012, 02:11:58 PM

Would that make sense?

I think it has more to do with the cheek weld, how it fits your cheek and length of pull. I have a very lieght o/u youth 20 I hunted with and it will slap the crap out of my face. It will water my eye almost everytime I shoot it.

It doesnt kick as hard as my 3.5 12gs, but its rough on my face.

I aint hurting much.

rock54

soooo...my question is....along the same lines,how do you get the RIGHT
fit for sure and a not, I THINK IT FITS ME GOOD guess ?????

lookn at a gun for my wife, she is 5'1, about 125lbs.....every youth gun she
picks up i get the it feels good....you guys are sayn that the 870 youth and 1187
compact are hard to the cheek, as well as others have said the same about
mossberg both have 21in and 22in barrels,benelli nova has 24in...

i cant put her in a gun that will possibly make her a little gun shy or not want
to shoot it at all......she wants a scope too,like her crossbow....

will the short barrels do less cheek bashn if i drop to 2 3/4 shells and keep the
range to 30 yds and under because of the shell choice ?????

any help and direction will be greatly appreciated....thanks russ