turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20ga. Gundecoy

Started by mad815, May 21, 2012, 10:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad815

My 20 ga. long neck jake beard gundecoy.  It's been mistaken for a jake decoy by mature toms.  Brings them in a running.     This utility single shot is just the ticket for running and gunning here in upstate New York / Vermont border area.   With proper loads and choke it preforms as well as my 12 ga's .   I've never shot a turkey with a 12ga. that I couldn't with this 20ga.    20ga. turkey guns are becoming a mainstay with some hunters I know.      Web

surehuntsalot

nice shotgun
I like that alot
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

chbarnha

that thing there looks sweet, but it has an unusual growth coming out of the forearm haha. what choke are you shooting in that gun?

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak

mad815

The original gun I bought was a full choke 3 1/2" 12 ga.   I bought it for more less a back up to my Mossberg 500A . I took it up to my camp to test fire it with 3 1/2" #6's  My camp is in upstate New York.   When I pulled the trigger, that single shot sent me flying back all the way to  Podunk ,Vermont and had to hitchhike back home.  I sent the receiver back to NEF ( H&R ) for a new 12 ga. tube with a screw in choke.   That tube takes the same choke as my Mossberg 500. I use the  Undertaker Choke.  I also have a 20ga. Mossberg 500 that I've shot turkeys with and I use a 20 ga. Undertaker with that one.    I again sent the receiver back to Remington, this time and they fitted a 20ga. tube with a screw in choke -- I use the same 20ga. Undertaker choke in it.     Undertaker with Federal Flite Control Heavyweight #7 --- It's a 40 yard killer.     I carry my 12 ga tube in my truck during turkey season and in 3 min. can interchange it if I want a 12ga.   I shoot  Remington Duplex 4x6 in the 12 ga.   ----   In the off season this utility gun is found in my truck with the 12ga tube on it as a truck gun.    --- Web

mad815

The decoy came though twice this year--- Last day of NY was today ,so one last time.  Those Federal Flite Control 20ga. #7 heavyweight's are just the ticket for me-- 40+yards and 35 yards.   Bang and they are down --no wing flop or nothing --just down----   Web

gobblergls

Mad815, on the first bird, what nozzle setting did you use to hose that bird down?  Shower, Full or mist?? :firefighter: :firefighter: :firefighter:

mad815

gobblergls--- ya got that right----  We had a few straight days of good rain and I did not hunt.  May 15th the weatherman said chance of showers.  I was going into cold turkey and needed to get out there and do something. The Jones's setting in.   --- 5:00am I was in the woods with rain.  In between showers at 11:00am  he gobbled.   I got my fix for the day.    --- It was a tough season.     Web

bigredneck61088

Looks like a sweet little setup!! and nice birds!!