OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pretty good first year with the 20ga.

Started by Sand Man, May 14, 2012, 11:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sand Man

Built a Rem 870 twenty with a 21" barrel to hunt with this season.  I hunted with it exclusively this year, and it flat hammers turkeys further than any 12ga with over the shelf ammo I've ever used.

I ended up with 7 birds in 3 states.  Here are a few pics:

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

savduck

I agree with that. I took 7 in two states all with my two 20 gauges. I'll never go back.

Those are some fine gobblers, congrats on your season.
Georgia Boy

mr meat

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

thundrchikin

Congrats on the birds. What load were you using?

redarrow

Some boys just know how to git er dun. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Sand Man

Thanks everyone!

Quote from: thundrchikin on May 15, 2012, 01:43:28 PM
What load were you using?

1 5/8 oz TSS #9 reloads.  I think I'm going to play around with some 1oz loads this winter and see how she shoots.  I want to try those Federal HW 7's as well.  Why?  I have no idea.  I should probably leave well enough alone.   ;)

DocHolliday

You'll be disappointed in the pattern density. I patterned Fed HW 7 and T9's this weekend out of that gun. T9 wins. And you really should see the 1-13/16 T9 load!

Eric Gregg

I like seeing what the little 20 can do :you_rock:

Congrats on a great season

goblr77

surehuntsalot

congrats on an outstanding season
the 20ga is bad on turkeys
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Waddle Whacker

Congrats on the great season, awesome pics!

Sand Man

Quote from: DocHolliday on May 15, 2012, 04:13:23 PM
You'll be disappointed in the pattern density. I patterned Fed HW 7 and T9's this weekend out of that gun. T9 wins. And you really should see the 1-13/16 T9 load!

Well, I've got to find something to take care of this reloading demand I've created.  I've got two friends and my dad that now think I"m their TSS dealer.   :TooFunny:  Actually, I know nothing OTC is going to perform like TSS, but I'd like to know of something that gave favorable results incase one of them got in a bind and needed some shells quick.  The 1oz TSS #9 load is for something with less recoil for kids.  And something for tight quarters when I don't need the payload hunting big fields in Western OK, TX, and KS.

I talked to Hal about the 1 13/16 T9 load, but he said it wouldn't cycle in the gun.  I don't want a single shot.  Heck, I killed two doubles this year that wouldn't have been possible if I coudln't cycle my gun.

savduck

If you have to back to over the counter shells the Feds will get it done. In my Remington I have a couple different chokes that have different  40 averages. I can cover from about 115 at 40 up to 150 at 40 with the Feds depending on choke. The Hevi 7 s will average in mid 150s with a truglo SSX. At forty yards with the Feds that 130 to 150 pattern range is a wrecking ball.
Georgia Boy