turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ithaca 20 gauge TurkeySlayer+Sumtoy choke+TSS9s=Great Bird

Started by gobblergls, May 05, 2012, 02:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblergls

Earlier this week, I had the pleasure of visiting William at Sumtoy Customs, a subsidiary of Sumtoy International located in the Vidalia Onion Belt.  I had emailed him about an appropriate choke for my Ithaca 20 Gauge TurkeySlayer, a gun I had bought over the winter.  I wasn't satisfied with an aftermarket choke I had purchased online.  William invited me to his shop and let me test fire some of his chokes.  Of the two he recommended, for my purposes, his .5625 performed best for what I want for hunting turkeys.  I shoot 1 5/8 oz. TSS 9s in accordance with one of Hawglip's recipes. However, I dispense with the use of buffer.  It shoots tight enough for me without buffer.  Punching paper is one thing; the proof is in feathers.
This morning I closed out my season with an old bird.  I didn't notice it was double bearded until cleaning it.  10.5" and 6".  The spurs were 1 7/16 and 1 3/8".  In that I ruined the turkey's day, I decided not to weigh him thinking he will now have the benefit of gaining weight after death. 18 lbs?  Maybe more next year if I can remember who I told 18 lbs.   Not bad for the end of the season on non-agricultural public land.  I couldn't find my good camera so the quality of photos isn't too good.  244 evenly spread in the 10" ring at 40 yards.

mr meat

schuylkillspur

You hav nothing w/o FAITH

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase