turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bird #3 with Fed 7s

Started by goblr77, April 28, 2012, 10:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goblr77

I can't say how far this bird was shot but I can tell you a 12ga 3.5" load of Hevishot would have been stretched out. The energy of those Federal 7s is hard to believe until you see it firsthand. I was apprehensive about shooting birds with a 20ga but decided to try it after I got a couple birds under my belt this season with my 12ga guns. After testing these loads on paper and three birds this season it will be hard for me to consider lugging around one of my 12ga rigs any more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

struttnnc

im in the same boat man , i just dont see the reason for lugging my heavy 12 ga that doesnt pattern as good as my 20 ga encore or my 20 ga 870 with federal hevi 7s. thats a toad of a bird , does it have 2 seperate beards or just 1 big paint brush, it kind of looks like 2 beards or am i seeing things .

WyoHunter

Beautiful bird! Nice pic. What gun and choke did you use?
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

savduck

Me too. Nice limb hanger, congrats.
Georgia Boy

Waddle Whacker

Congrats! 20's are the real deal.

goblr77

Quote from: struttnnc on April 28, 2012, 11:27:47 PM
im in the same boat man , i just dont see the reason for lugging my heavy 12 ga that doesnt pattern as good as my 20 ga encore or my 20 ga 870 with federal hevi 7s. thats a toad of a bird , does it have 2 seperate beards or just 1 big paint brush, it kind of looks like 2 beards or am i seeing things .

One thick beard.

goblr77

Quote from: WyoHunter on April 29, 2012, 02:38:23 AM

870 youth with a SSX.

killdee

I have yet to get anything but jakes in front of my 20 so far this year but I have only had it for a couple weeks. I'm sold on it as far as on paper and for carrying purposes.

Oh yeah, very nice tom you got there, congratulations!!! :character0029:

mr meat

cannonball

struttnnc

Quote from: goblr77 on April 30, 2012, 09:37:48 AM
Quote from: WyoHunter on April 29, 2012, 02:38:23 AM

870 youth with a SSX.
thats the same choke and shell combo im shooting in both my 20s and its mean as heck .

surehuntsalot

congrats on a very nice bird
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

mightyjoeyoung

Congrats on the bird with the 20!  I started carrying one in earnest last spring and I'm not sure I'll ever go back to the 12s.  I took my best PA bird to date with my youth 870 and Fed HW 7s on Monday.  He's definetely in the top 10 all time for me.  Dropped like a bad habit at 35 yards with barely a flop.     :OGturkeyhead:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Longspur321

Awesome man! Heck of a bird....
"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."--John Wayne

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."--Steve McQueen