turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

in need of some help! on running and gunning

Started by BENPRICE77, April 23, 2012, 06:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BENPRICE77

I have a general idea where there are two nice roosting areas, But The bad thing is that I live about two hrs away and Havent had much time to scout at all, went out during youth season with my boy, but do the down pour of rain all weekend and the frigid temps(35), did not have much luck!!

I am driving down to the woods early wed morning and hunting that same morning, I plan getting there about 2 hrs before legal shooting time!

What would you guys in this Case to find the birds in a quick and quiet way!
We can only hunt till 12pm

Second once you locate the birds what Kind, would one hen decoy work in this matter?

best way to run and gun

Calling while they r in there roost? any pointers?

thank you please help new to the sport!!!!

jakebird

Since u already said u thought u had the roost figure out, i'd start there. Dont blunder in too close. Get within about 200 yds, slightly above if possible and wait for the first roost gobbles. If u feel u need to move closer, do it then, before it gets any lighter. Try owl hoots if they arent gobbling on their own. When the sun pops up, if u havent heard one yet, try a crow call. If you can ideally be within 150 yds of them and they gobble on the roost, you're atleast in the game. Give a soft tree call (soft yelps and clucks) then dont call nay more till they are on the ground. Give em a good run of yelps, maybe some cutts, then shut up and wait. Give them a good half hour to work in. If they move away, u can try to circle wide ahead of them, or tail them, hanging back until they stop, prob at a strut zone. If they have hens, hang in there and wait them out. Theyll prob leave the gobblers around ten a.m. If you do all this and hear nothing, and see no fresh sign, move on to the next spot and try again. Gd lk
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?