Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Mossberg 500 20guage 24" barrel choke and load anyone have suggestions

Started by yelpy, April 20, 2012, 11:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yelpy

Anyone with suggestions on choke and load? I have read the SSX and Fed. HW #7's are working well.

The local gun shop said guys around here are using the Improved cylinder factory choke paired up with the Fed HW #7's does this sound right?

Woodsman4God

Local shop is just spitting out the info supplied by federal IMO,lots of guys eeing good results with the SSX and fed #7s

goblr77

I had the same gun you mentioned and it patterned identical to my 870 20ga with the same type chokes and loads. A SSX and Fed 7's should do the trick. Clark Bush can fix you up with the choke.

yelpy

Thanks for the replies. Got me an SSX and some Fed HW's. We will see what happens.

yelpy

Quote from: yelpy on April 27, 2012, 01:03:27 AM

Thanks for the replies. Got me an SSX and some Fed HW's. We will see what happens.

Shot a  few HW 7's through the SSX and the patterns at 40 are very inconsistant. What I am wondering is if the factory loads are known for this or if something else is going on. Anyone care to comment? I am thinking the choke may be the problem if it isn't the factory amo.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

spurcollector

Quote from: yelpy on April 28, 2012, 04:39:55 PM
Quote from: yelpy on April 27, 2012, 01:03:27 AM

Shot a  few HW 7's through the SSX and the patterns at 40 are very inconsistant. What I am wondering is if the factory loads are known for this or if something else is going on. Anyone care to comment? I am thinking the choke may be the problem if it isn't the factory amo.

Did you deep clean the barrel and choke?

yelpy

Yes sir. It was deep cleaned but not pollished. Pollishing is an option I have everything needed to do it but I don't think that is the problem. I am going to get a Carlsons non ported and try it out. I will be loading TSS and HW 15's for it when I have everything to do so but I would like to get the factory feds to shoot because I have them.

goblr77

Yelpy,

What were your numbers on the low side with the SSX and Feds?

yelpy

Quote from: goblr77 on May 02, 2012, 08:40:30 AM
Yelpy,

Very bad. Not to sure of the #'s wasn't worth counting, but I can say the pattern was open to the point it looked like I shot from a cylinder choke covering 28 X 33 paper at 40 with no core. 

R AJ

Quote from: yelpy on May 02, 2012, 11:14:18 AM
Quote from: goblr77 on May 02, 2012, 08:40:30 AM
Yelpy,

Very bad. Not to sure of the #'s wasn't worth counting, but I can say the pattern was open to the point it looked like I shot from a cylinder choke covering 28 X 33 paper at 40 with no core. 
\
This sounds like an over choked problem. Have you tried lead Federals in that setup? You may also try lead and HW at 30 yds. H-13 7s usually do well in the SSX choke as a general rule.

yelpy

I was thinking the choke was to tight also. I just got a Carlsons 575 in the mail today but didn't have time to try it out. I am thinking it should do well with the Fed HW 7's. Not interested in shooting lead or Hevi shot at the moment just want to use up some Fed ammo until I can get my hands on TSS 9's and components to load them. I will probably end up putting up a few SBEII 12guage chokes for sale to fund the 20.