Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Difference between a short box and a long box call?

Started by brkncly, April 18, 2012, 11:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brkncly

I was wondering what are the differences between a short box and a long box call besides length?
Are the sounds different, louder? I can see that a short box call would be easier to carry.  Thanks!

lonnie sneed jr.

Not all of the time, but a short box most often will have a higher pitch yelp and higher pitch sharp clucks. I like a short box for yelping but (for me) I like a long box for cutting. There are alot of good box calls out there short and long. I carry both with a slate and glass, but may dad gives them to me. I can not say one is better than the other. Its all in what you like as a hunter and caller.

:OGturkeyhead:

woodwzrd

If you look at a short box from the side you will notice a higher radius on the rail. Now if you look at a long box from the side the rail is sometimes almost flat sloping from the front to the back. Because of the radius differences and the paddle length differences the short box paddle has less contact time with the rail and a shorter stroke than a long box. Long boxes typically will have more volume than a short box. I know some guys carry them just for locating because of the volume. Short boxes are easier to purr with than long boxes. There are not that many long boxes out there that  I have found that you can purr with. They are there but not that many. yes short boxes are easier to throw in your vest and go but if you get a good holster there is no issues with carrying a long box. That was a lot and I kind of typed as it came to me so it is a bit jumbled so I hope it answered some of what you were looking for.

BrowningGuy88

My Skinny Mini Long Box from Pappy has the sweetest tree yelps and softest clucks I have ever heard from any box - period. I don't particularly care for its cutts, but they are okay.

I carry that box just for its early morning tree yelps. It has brought all the gobblers I have seen this year in on a string.

TauntoHawk

im picking up my first custom short box friday night from a guy I met a few years back Ray Shields of Kaatskill Mountain Calls.. pretty excited!

He sent me some video tearing into some birds behind his house and they were eating it up. Never really used a box because I never had one I liked but I think I need to start collecting some good ones and stop buying 400 mouth calls a year
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

North of 8

about 4 inches. :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Pretty much stated above by these other experts.

NEKVT

Quote from: woodwzrd on April 19, 2012, 09:01:51 AM
If you look at a short box from the side you will notice a higher radius on the rail. Now if you look at a long box from the side the rail is sometimes almost flat sloping from the front to the back. Because of the radius differences and the paddle length differences the short box paddle has less contact time with the rail and a shorter stroke than a long box. Long boxes typically will have more volume than a short box. I know some guys carry them just for locating because of the volume. Short boxes are easier to purr with than long boxes. There are not that many long boxes out there that  I have found that you can purr with. They are there but not that many. yes short boxes are easier to throw in your vest and go but if you get a good holster there is no issues with carrying a long box. That was a lot and I kind of typed as it came to me so it is a bit jumbled so I hope it answered some of what you were looking for.

Thank you but
What about large vs small? and wood types?

woodwzrd

Volume is the biggest difference in long versus short paddle calls. Also with a long paddle call depending on how it is built and tuned because of the long paddle stroke you with have a bigger range from high to low in your role over. In looking at Brooksides kits it looks like what they call a "large call" is a short box style call. It is most likely in the 8" range. The "small call" is just a scaled down version of the other probably in the 6" range.

Different wood types and combinations will give you different tones and variation in rasp. Some are nice and sweet with very little rasp and other combinations are so raspy they make your teeth rattle. It would be hard to list out all the different combinations and what they have to offer. A few of the classics are:
walnut over butternut
walnut over poplar
all cedar
and on and on.

I hope that helps a little more. If you are going to get a kit from brookside they are really good about answering questions as well.