OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Split my head today!

Started by longbow59, February 26, 2011, 03:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbow59

I shot my 3.5 supermag for the 1st time today, using my brand new Leupold Nwtf 1x4x20mm scope. After sighting it in using low brass shells. I shot a 3.5 winchester HV #6 and poof it came back and split me over my eyebrow. It has 4" of eye releif and it still got me. I have $200 in it if someone wants it or I'll Ebay it.

bird

Sorry to hear that..... time for a FastFire II

bencattin

IF TURKEYS COULD SMELL WE WOULD NEVER KILL ONE!

redarrow

Quote from: bencattin on February 26, 2011, 05:31:32 PM
Maybe try a 3 inch shell ???? :firefighter:
Yeah,for sure. Can you move it forward a bit ?

longbow59

I mounted the scope perfectly for me, by that I mean when sitting against a tree and bring the gun up I have full fov. I could of moved the scope forward but whats the point if I have to lean my head in to see fully. I really liked the glass and reticle, I got the scope because my eyes are bad and was having a hard time seeing the sights.

chatterbox

Scope eye bites!
I finally switched to red dot/holo sights for the unlimited eye relief. Much better.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: chatterbox on February 26, 2011, 06:45:53 PM
Scope eye bites!
I finally switched to red dot/holo sights for the unlimited eye relief. Much better.
Yep  :icon_thumright:  I learned shooting 350 grain bullets out of a smokeless muzzleloader at 2300 fps to mount the scope as far forward as possible.  By that I mean I have to pull it into my shoulder tight and stretch my neck just a little to see the full FOV. Just enough without having to torque my body or gun so I can still shoot in an accurate position.

hookedspur

I hope your eye gets healed up but it happens to the best of us . I saw Jim Shokey cut his down on tv once.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

joshua

Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

BOFF

Quote from: longbow59 on February 26, 2011, 03:56:55 PM
I shot my 3.5 supermag for the 1st time today, using my brand new Leupold Nwtf 1x4x20mm scope. After sighting it in using low brass shells. I shot a 3.5 winchester HV #6 and poof it came back and split me over my eyebrow. It has 4" of eye releif and it still got me. I have $200 in it if someone wants it or I'll Ebay it.

It's happened to me before, but for $200.00 for a 3.5 supermag, AND a  new scope, I'll try it again. Where do I send payment?   :goofball:

God Bless,
David B.

longbow59

Just to clarify the scope was $200 not the scope and gun. Like my super mag.

BOFF

Quote from: longbow59 on February 27, 2011, 06:48:42 PM

I know, I was just being a smart rear.  :laugh:

God Bless,
David B.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: BOFF on February 27, 2011, 06:50:43 PM
Quote from: longbow59 on February 27, 2011, 06:48:42 PM

I know, I was just being a smart rear.  :laugh:

God Bless,
David B.

Well that is what he said.   :z-guntootsmiley:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Seriously though, sorry to hear that.  I seen my buddy do that once on deer rifle.  Hope your eye gets better. 

Reloader

That's a bummer.  How's it healing?

Not to be a smarty britches, but proper scope mounting and proper hold should keep a scope from hitting your eye.  I shoot scopes with less eye relief on some hard kickers without a problem.  I even have a scope on a SM that doesn't touch me with Nitro class loads.  Knock on wood :D