OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Advice on a setup

Started by NappinUnderTrees, April 11, 2012, 08:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NappinUnderTrees

Hunting Turkey's for my first season here, and I don't have friends who hunt  :( . I hunt 60 acres of WMA in South Carolina. I know that only 60 acres will limit the amount of Birds but I have witnessed a lot of Hens Nesting and have even talked up close and personal with a Hen for about 45mins on my second outing into the woods.

My question or rather the advice I would like is this, I have been setting up in the morning in a wooded area that opens up a bit. I sit with a Tall grass field to My back and a creek about 150 yards in front of me and to the right a bit. I am looking at a good 20 -30 yards of scratch and upturned leaves and a dry creek bed to my left. Usually hunting in the morning I am always looking into the woods, but on rainy days I'm looking into the field cause I heard Turks like the tall grass in wet weather. Seeing as I don't know where roosts are yet and the Turkeys have been very quiet so far this season does this sound like an OK setup until I can get something talking?

All the signs are there for Toms (except for the roost) and I have seen a few hens both on the nest in the tall grass and walking around while I'm staying still in my spot. Just got back from my 6the outing with no sightings or soundings from a male.

Again extremely new to turkey hunting and any help would be appreciated!

jim67

Welcome. I am no means an expert.Ive only killed two and son killed one, but about the 60ac.We only own 20 and there are always turkeys, the main thing I would be concerned about is you havent heard any gobbling on the roost. I usually hear 2 or three at least,sometimes they roost on my property and sometimes just off of it. Have you tried a locator call as the sun starts comming up? also, I just drive up and stand by the truck,when the sun starts comming up,the crows will be active, this will usually get the birds to gobble. Then I go set up and call,but not too much. Patience. I once had left the blind then came back later,I fell asleep in the blind only to be awaken by the sound of walking in the leaves. That was my first bird.

NappinUnderTrees

I have a locator call, but as I am practicing with it and it does not sounds anywhere near realistic for an Owl I am hesitant to use it.

The fact I have yet to hear a turkey on the roost befuddles me also, I believe they are in the area. Could it be that it is a quiet season?? Or maybe I am not listening for them well enough... although I have heard sound bites of what they should sound like.

I will say this, I had the best time watching that Hen the other day and again this afternoon when a large woodpecker tried to run me out from under my tree... It is always a good time being out in the woods!