OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Owl or crow first?

Started by sodfather, February 07, 2011, 09:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sodfather

What do you guys hit first to locate birds, a crow call or an owl call. Also how long before daylight do you use it. Thanks.

redarrow

I only use an owl call before daylight. Maye 30 mins after. Then its the crow call. In the evening I use the owl to roost bird.Usually just before dusk.

turkey slayer

Quote from: redarrow on February 07, 2011, 10:35:25 AM
I only use an owl call before daylight. Maye 30 mins after. Then its the crow call. In the evening I use the owl to roost bird.Usually just before dusk.
ditto

shootumindaface

Owls hoot all night thus it never hurts to run one at O dark thirty.. If I am going in with no knowledge of a roosted turkey, I start really early.. Buying yourself a few minutes can mean the difference between 100 yards from the roost and 200

neal

+2
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

savduck

I use the owl first then a crow. I will use an owl all day long. Down here in the south, in the shade of the swamps you may hear an owl any time of the day.
Georgia Boy

joshua

Quote from: savduck on February 07, 2011, 08:48:30 PM
I use the owl first then a crow. I will use an owl all day long. Down here in the south, in the shade of the swamps you may hear an owl any time of the day.
:agreed:
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

knightrider

neither i use the ole goose call, lights em up even an hour before first light :cross2:

st4wheel

Owl early and late  crow in between
LIMBHANGER

hookedspur

Quote from: knightrider on February 08, 2011, 02:15:23 PM
neither i use the ole goose call, lights em up even an hour before first light :cross2:
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

northms

I also start owl hooting and then go to the crow call after the sun gets good and up.

harvester

I use the owl first and then the crow but only after I hear the resident crows get fired. May use the owl anytime during the day also.

FttFttVroom!

I've gotten pretty lazy hunting them in my usual spots.  Rios tend to roost in the exact spots day after day, year after year in my areas.  That is, untill messed with.  Needless to say, I hardly try to locate them.  I just pick a spot and go.  They are very vocal anyways and sometimes will gobble on their own an hour before light.

jbrown

I owl early and late in the day, crow call the rest of the time. Sometimes I'll owl in the first grey light......most of the time, I owl after I here the first birds churp.

bowhunter84

same here