Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

been scouting lately.....whats this about

Started by Lon0121, April 10, 2012, 01:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lon0121

Here in southern ky our season doesnt open until this saturday.  That hasnt stopped me from getting up in the am with a crow and owl call and trying to hear them gobble off the roost so i have an idea where to setup this weekend.    Past two days i have heard a good amount of gobbling almost in the same trees every morning.  Today i get up a dawn and hear zero gobbles.  I know people have been patterning shotguns close by but not close enough to spook.   I heard zero gobbles and the crow and owll calls failed to adhere a gobble as well.     The tem was in the low 40s.    Did they move out.      Again on almost 500 acres not one gobble
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

gunnerj

Really, it didn't sound like that big of a cold front. It was in the 20's here this morning. I wasn't out, but being clear, I bet they were going. I think the gobs are getting conditioned to your locaters. Change up your locaters ( coyote, woodpecker, duck, goose, whatever), or let it happen naturally.  :anim_25:

larry9988

could have been just one of those quiet mornings, may be going crazy tomorrow morning in the same place. sometimes if the crows are quiet and the owls are quiet seems the turkeys are too.go try them again and they may light it up.

booth

Leave them alone.  Why keeping going back throwing locator calls left and right before the season.  They will gobble on there own just listen.

chcltlabz

I think changes in barometric pressure effect them more than temperature does (but the temperature fronts are usually right there too).

Could have been a big dip in the barometer.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

dirt road ninja

I'd bet they are still there and you'll bust one this weekend. Somedays they talk somedays they don't.

FullChoke

Just because they don't gobble, doesn't mean they are not there.

Go to that area early on opening morning and move to them once they start gobbling. If they don't gobble, go to that area and just blind call. Watch sharp because he may come in silently.

Good luck   :anim_25:

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

hotrod49er

Was it really windy that night?  They dont seem to gobble at all after a windy night hanging on for dear life.

Grant Flaming

I haven't heard a gobble from our house in a loooong time but I see a couple toms in the same spot everyday. They may be quite but I bet they are still in that area.

Trapper

Quote from: booth on April 10, 2012, 10:21:38 PM
Leave them alone.  Why keeping going back throwing locator calls left and right before the season.  They will gobble on there own just listen.

PLUS 1 !
I never use locators in Ct. To many new guys do that and spook the heck out of em,  Like Booth said, listening goes a long way..  and ya, some mornings they don't gobble.
Again, that's here, I'm sure other areas may be different