turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

roosting a bird

Started by 0369GYSGT, April 09, 2012, 08:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0369GYSGT

In the evening, what time does a bird generally take to the roost.  Im specifically wondering how many minutes before, or after sunset they usually head up to roost.
Thank-you.

redleg06

Tough to give specific minutes but dusky-dark is usually when I start trying to get them to sound off. About that time when it's getting difficult to see, If i havent heard one yet, I break out the calls and get to work trying to get one to sound off. 

I personally use a box call or aluminum pot call to get one to sound off so I dont like to do it much earlier than that because I dont want one working in silent to me while I'm busy trying to roost one. 

Also, If you can get one to sound off 5-10 min before dark, it gives you the chance to use the darkness to get in a little closer and figure out a specific tree he's up in and check out the terrain a little better so you can plan your morning approach a little better.

0369GYSGT

Great tip Redleg06,
I never thought about using a call in the evening after they roosted.
How long after dark will they shut up and not respond to a call?
If you can remember any more tips, please feel free to share them.

jakebird

When it gets good and dark, its usually (but not always) too late for them to gobble. I do best just as the suns sets and the evening breeze lays down. If hes not on the limb yet, he will be soon. Owl hoots work best for me but cutting, or even gobbling can get a response.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

redleg06

Quote from: 0369GYSGT on April 09, 2012, 09:27:43 AM
Great tip Redleg06,
I never thought about using a call in the evening after they roosted.
How long after dark will they shut up and not respond to a call?
If you can remember any more tips, please feel free to share them.

Some will keep gobbling later than others but usually I'm done roosting them 5-10 min after dark.  Most of the time, if i've gone in closer to get a better look at which tree they are actually in, Ill let it get completely dark before sneaking back out and they are usually done gobbling by that time.

I've never stayed in there past 20-30 min after its gotten dark to try and listen for turkey so I couldnt tell you. 

Also, i do try to give them every opportunity to sound off on their own but, as often as not, some kind of loud excited turkey calling is the best/only way to get them to sound off.

Usually some excited yelping (as in more excited than you would really use to call in a turkey most of the time) is a good way to get them to sound off.  I may differ from most guys on this but some people will start off low volume one series then build up in each series after but I think to get a true shock gobble like this, you start off sudden and loud right off the bat. Otherwise, you arent really "shocking" them and it can lose some of it's effectiveness. The suddenness is, IMO what makes the difference in getting them to sound off.

One other thing I will add is that you are basically trying to get them to shock gobble here so if you start doing this routine too early before fly up then you, A) run the risk of bumping one that comes in silent on you  and B) lose the effectiveness of the "shock effect" it has on them because they have heard you do it for the last hour and arent as caught off guard by it. I've always felt like the best shock gobbles are usually going to happen the very first series of calls or right after a sudden loud noise. Even Coyotes suddenly cranking up will get a gobble on occasion if the birds are on the limb. 

I know some folks have issues using turkey calls to locate birds but, in my experience, i've had a lot of success doing this when nothing else will work.

0369GYSGT

Thanks for the advice.
I definately will apply it in the next 2 weeks.