turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Very high winter wheat in fields

Started by MG150, April 08, 2012, 02:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MG150

The land I hunt on has 5 to 7 acres of bottom land with winter wheat planted.With the mild winter and very warm spring here in NC the wheat is already kneehigh and higher in places.Will I be wasting my time hunting around these fields?The grass will completely hide decoys from view,also do turkeys feel safe or fear danger in grasses that they cannot see in?We do have coyotes.Thanks for any help!

nogoodreezen

Same problem here in ky. Still seeing a lot of birds in the field but its not gonna get any shorter before next Saturday. If it gets tall enough they can't see, I believe they will tend to shy away from it. Good luck. Hopefully the farmer will cut the hay here very soon.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

redleg06

I had the same problem in Tx last week.

We normally have wheat that's 6-8" during the opening week but this year, it was going to be up to a good gobbler's beard or higher.

I ended up killing one that came from a wheat field but he walked the edge on where it was shorter and right down to me. They seemed to use the edges where it was shorter, just like they would a logging road and would much prefer to stay on the out skirts of the wheat. Having said that, I saw gobbler tracks going right in to the center of one of the big fields so I guess they will still walk in it. 

At the end of the week though, (it was a 5 day trip to TX) we killed more in the mesquite around the wheat fields than actually on the fields and it's usually just the opposite in years where the wheat is shorter. 

A couple years ago I killed one that you could only see his head and he crossed about 300 yards of it to get to me so they will do it but I think they like it a lot better when it's shorter.

dpittman

Here in PA by the second week the grass is usually very tall. I cut sections of old aluminum arrows and tape them to my stakes to get them up a little. It seems to work well. A lot of times in the tall grass all you can see is their heads but they don't seem to shy away unless it is soaking wet.